Cobra R's -- what tire size?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cobra R's -- what tire size??

I'm looking to put some Cobra R's on the truck (96' V8, 2WD) and I'm wondering about tire size... since I've only done rim/tire changes to my mustangs. (something says a 275-40 is gonna look stupid, hah).

Anyhow... what I'm thinking is:

275-60-17 or 275-55-17 -- the difference is about
1" between those two.

Any recommendations one way or the other on the profile size? I'd like the wheel combo to fill out the wheel well better then it does now.

Other rims I'm considering are the 99 Cobra's, but they are only a 8" wide rim, so I'd be limited to a 255.

thanks,
damon

http://damon.5liter.com/explorer.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cobra rims.

Are you saying that mustang rims will fit on a explorer. I have a 97 eddie and have been looking far and wide for some good cheap 16, 17' rims. I called the rack and they said the center bore wouldn't match up. what do you think.

Hi there-
I have had the pirelli 275-55-17 for about 2 yrs and love them- fit great. do need a 3/8 spacer on the front if its lowered- good luck

yes- mustang cobra rs fit explorers.... is your 2wd, 4wd, awd? mine is awd and i believe the cobra rs fit the 4wd also 95 and up- not sure though-
later

cobra rims

I appreciate all the feedback to my question. you all are great. my exp. is awd. If the cobra rims will fit my I assume that any mustang rim will too?(95 up must. rims?)

thanks,

rob

I am pretty sure- its actually 94 and up.... 93 and below where 4- lug.
They all have the same lug pattern... just have to watch the 99-01 cause the rear is even wider on them and the backspacing is different- but im sure a little wheel spacer would work-

if you wanted some different rims then cobra r's... check out www.steeda and look under the muctang catalog and then wheels... I really like the steeda ultra lites- looking at them for my mustang-

Does anyone know how much wheel spacing I will need for the front to the Cobra-R's on my 93? I know it can be done because Mudd***** has done it on his XLT.

I just rcvd the new Explorer Express catalog.They sell those cobra R rims. I called them up it will fit all Ex's 95-up including 4x4's with front wheel spacers.

Whats the widest tire size I can use with the Cobra rims on a 2001 XLT with out the use of spacers?

Back