• Register Today It's free!

What to do with my new engine...

desertbum8

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hey guys! I recently put a 2001 Ranger V6 4.0 SOHC in my '97 Exploder. It's running great and I'm looking to upgrade.

First: Intake. I am using the Explorer manifold so what cold-air intake should I look for? I heard MAC made some good stuff so I'm not sure.

Second: Exhaust. My Cats have gone bad apparently and I'm looking to upgrade the whole exhaust system from manifolds back. If I do a MAC Cat-Back system then that's everything after the Cats correct? Also what suggestions do people have for a deep sounding rumble? I am getting MagnaFlow cats FYI.

Thanks in advance guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You also might want to look at a Throttle Body upgrade.

The 4.0L SOHC V-6 used the same throttlebody bolt pattern as the 4.6L SOHC V-8. "aldive" did a swap and noticed an improvement.

Ryan

I love my MAC intake. So easy to install and really brightens up the engine bay. Also the price is reasonable.

I run a flowmaster 40 series muffler. It has a nice deep sound. Fairly quiet at idle but when you step on it it makes a statement!:)

I have TM headers though so I dont know if that makes a difference. Also I run high flow cats. I cant think of the brand at the moment. They were not very expensive though.

I will try to find out what cats i have. I have that info somewhere....

Spdracer34: Is that the V8 from the Mustang? If so how would I know what years are compatible with my '97 Explorer?

Zachow: I was thinking of getting a MAC intake as well. My question about your cats is were they bolt-on or did you need to cut/weld? Also are they legal in CA? That's one of the reasons I'm getting MagnaFlow cats because they are legal here lol.

Zachow: I was thinking of getting a MAC intake as well. My question about your cats is were they bolt-on or did you need to cut/weld? Also are they legal in CA? That's one of the reasons I'm getting MagnaFlow cats because they are legal here lol.[/QUOTE]

Looking closer at the website, no they are not legal in California. Im running Magnaflows for my primary cats. An easy bolt on but kind of spendy. My secondary cats are the Thunderbolts. Those required cutting and welding to fit.

Being in California really limits your options. I would think the Magnaflows would be okay. Torque Monster headers would be better(and legal!) plus you get a big discount for being a forum member.:)

Sorry,

I forgot you have the V-6 SOHC. Torque Monster headers are not available for your engine. Check out HensonPerformance for a MAC CAI, he's a long time forum vendor. He tuned my truck and has probably the fastest Explorer on this site. Same engine as yours.

Awesome thanks a lot man! I really appreciate the input =-D

Back