What To Expect? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What To Expect?

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
I have a 1992 X with 256000 kilometers on it (160 000miles for you guys in the states)... It's going on the road some time next week (I hope). Just wondering if there are any normal problems around this many miles or this old of a truck. Will I have to worry about using it as a daily driver? Is it reliable enough that I can trust it to drive me 60kilometers a day? Do I have to worry about it breaking down on me or not starting up?

Just asking this question in general, I'm a bit worried if I start driving it to work everyday and back that it might leave me stranded because of its old age.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i drove my explorer every day and put on about 45 miles a day. I swapped the engine at 319,000 miles.

Is it a auto or 5speed?

It's auto tranny... I have no clue about pass maintanence or repairs done on the vehicle either which worries me a bit

Do a tune-up on it.

I have a 92 and all I seem to have, at this point at 178,x.. miles is a rod tick and I believe suspension squeak. I hear fuel pressure starts acting funny around this time so I'm gonna check it out soon. If I got some pointers on my other post under the hood I'd know for sure. Just waiting now :)

my X just hit 183,000 miles and its still going strong. I've been using it for a daily driver for just over two years now. I don't think it was even well taken care of before I had it.

My '93 Explorer XLT automatic has 285,000 kms on it and is still running very strong. The great thing about having an explorer is that there are so many very knowledgable and helpful people in this forum willing to help you out when you do run into trouble.

Listen to this person, Old age, a '92, OLD, a vehicle isn't old till at least 25 yrs. old friend,my '94 Limited has 85,000 miles on it, I drove it on a week long 'tour' of Canada less than two years ago,{went through two provinces} it's still going strong, starts 1st time, every time, finally has weak lower ball joints, no big repair..I would be willing to go anywhere in it , close to home or far,far away....{it pulled up hill and down in some real good ice storms in 4wd}...more comfortable than lots of the "euro-boxes" here in the UK....

Back