What to look for 02 Explorer Limited V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to look for 02 Explorer Limited V8

grognd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Howdy,

My 2003 Explorer XLT was cracked up in an accident...nobody hurt!

I am looking for another used Explorer. I have come across a 2002 Explorer Limited V8, 136,000 miles, in great exterior shape. Will test drive on Wednesday. a Dealership is asking $7,500.

What should I be looking for during the test drive and inspection?

Any other thoughts on this model?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

personaly i think they are asking alot for the ex. when you take the test drive, feal if the front end handles over bumps. if the front end is loose. if the transmission slips or lags when it shifts gears. beat on it kinda, see if its still a strong truck. also, check the heat and a/c. make sure it works. just play with everything and make sure stuff works. if you canget it for high 6's. that would b a good deal.

I think thats a lot (price), but see what you can do. Make sure the brakes are looked at! When I purchased my X if found out the rotors were warped. $1000 out of my pocket! :( Look for all that tabezic said to he listed them all. Then again it is a limited model. How about posting some pics?

Look for broken coil springs in the rear (very common), noise in wheel bearings (maybe into the turns), hum from rear end, verify 4x4 engages, cracked rear trim (just below window on exterior), look closely at rocker panels & other normal rust areas for prior bodywork.

the crack on the rear hatch wont efect the ex. i have that crack and its just a manufactor defect. theres nothing you can do about it. ive had it repnaced and it just cracks again.

Back