What will become of the Sport trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What will become of the Sport trac?

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
With the sport ex leaveing that leaves the trac by itself on the platform. We all know ford will not do that. I've heard the Ranger will grow to '03 ex size in '05 but will she trac stay the ex? or will they finally make a crew cab ranger? I can't say inless i saw trac sales. The only reason Ford used the ex instead of the ranger 4 a 4 door truck or SUT, is because they sell more ex's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the phrase goes something like "buh bye". My guess is that it will be replaced with a crew cab Ranger.

I had heard that the Ranger redesign may be pushed off until '08. But you're probably right about the Sport Trac being replaced by a Ranger SuperCrew.

i dont stay up on ford news, but i think the sport trac will be around for a while. i mean, they just came out with it 2 years ago, and its a different story than the excursion - people actually buy the sport trac, heh.

i really hope they dont get rid of it, the SUV market is really starting to look pretty sh*tty: no 2 doors, only tiny 4 doors or BIG 4 doors, NO enthusiasts special editions or anything, and not many of them are particularly attractive. i mean, im not due for a new truck for a while, but if i had to buy right now, besides the X sport or sport trac, i dont know what id look at it...4 door short bed dodge dakota?

It is sad that the Explorer is rapidly turning into off roading crap.

It looks like the Sport trac will be the last of the good old style, and it isn't even a "normal" suv in the regards that it has a truck like box....:(

Originally posted by tbomb
i dont stay up on ford news, but i think the sport trac will be around for a while. i mean, they just came out with it 2 years ago, and its a different story than the excursion - people actually buy the sport trac, heh.

I really doubt it. There was talk about getting rid of the Sport and Sport Trac for '04 model year. When they talk about Sport, it pretty much always includes the Sport Trac.

Don't expect the Ranger re-design to take until '08, unless things get a lot worse (meaning the present Explorer will be solid rear axle on all models, no 3rd row seat, etc. for cost cutting).

Ford is Stupid!!

They can't wait till '08 to do the Ranger! There going to lose the #1 compact truck trophy. With chevy coming out with the new Colorado next year to replaceing the
S-10. The ranger was last redone in as far as cab in '93. The trucks only had 2 cab in it's history. Hell the basic frame is still original. And she needs a V8!

well IMO
the SPORT TRAC, shouldn't even be considered an EXPLORER.

I mean i don't know an explorer that has a bed, it should be a Ranger Sport Trac, but thats just IMO.

I know they have to keep pace with GMC, but come on, i have never really cared for the sport trac from the first time i saw it....they should keep the sport and ditch the sport trac

well i saw in my new street trucks today(nov), they have some new concepts for the hybrid suvs. They have a h2 kind of ford and an excursion with a short bed similar to the avalanche. Though I don't know if the sport trac has life left in it or not, but still it hasn't had that great of a run yet. I hope to see them around for a few more years at least.

Ranger needs an 8
and i doubt they will wait till 08 to redesign the ranger, thats way to long for the same body style.. expect a change by 05...
Sport-trac.. it'll be around at least until they redisign the ranger, i would bet they would see how well the ranger does before they kill the sport-trac

Got my numbers mixed up. It was 2006 not 2008. This was posted on the Sport Trac site:

This weeks edition of Automotive News highlights the next 4 years of Ford products. First a glossary of styling terms used.

Carryover - Identical to the model sold the previous year; new colors, seating fabric may be offered.

Freshen - Sheet metal untouched; may include new grille, fascia, headlights or taillights.

Reskin - Minor styling changes to sheel metal; front and/or rear styling changed from previous year.

Restyle - Same platform as previous year, but extensive changes to interior and exterior design; looks totally different from previous year's model.

Redesign - New platform; new interior and exterior styling; engine & transmission could be carryover from previous model year.

Now for the changes:

Explorer/Mountaineer - Redesigned for 2002 (released in early 2001 as 2002 model).

Escape Pickup (baby Sporttrac) - Possible for 2003 (Sporttrac styling using the Escape as the platform).

Expedition/Navigator Reskin - Scheduled for 2003. Also possible stretched Expedition.

Ranger freshening likely for 2003.

F-150 restyling scheduled for 2003. May be delayed until 2004.

Lincoln SUV based on Ford Escape debuts in 2003.

Lincoln SUV (baby Navigator) based on Ford Explorer debuts in 2003.

Explorer ISG debuts in 2004. (Intergrated Starter-Generator is for 42-volt systems).

Lincoln Blackwood reskin scheduled for 2004.

Focus-based activity vehicle debuts in 2005.

Mid-sized sport wagon (ala Taurus Sport Wagon like Volvo cross country/Subaru Outback) debuts in 2005.

Explorer/Mountaineer restyling scheduled for 2005. May be delayed until 2006.

Ranger redesign scheduled for 2005. May be delayed until 2006.

Explorer Sport and Sport Trac is unclear whether, or when, they will be redesigned.

Keep in mind that any of the above changes may be seen as much as a full year before the given model year (i.e. 2001 ST debuts in 2/00, 2002 Explorer debuts in spring 2001). Based on this information, it appears unlikely that the Sport Trac will see any major (or minor) changes for either the 2002 or 2003 model years (sorry kids, no V8 on the horizon).

It says a reskin for tjhe Blackwood. I thought that vehicle was killed after a couple of months of production....

they did kill the blackwood...

That is dated. I wouldn't hold anything to the dates given. Blackwood production is ending, as noted, and there is no Escape-based Lincoln coming out in '03.

The information is recent and was reported by Automotive News in their August 5, 2002 edition (Dead Link Removed).

While its true that the Lincoln Blackwood is already dead, don't look for a resigned Ranger until somewhere between the MY2006-2008 depending on Fords' financial strength and Ranger's sales. The Explorer Sport is going away because Ford believes the Escape covers the same market.

A Ranger 4-dr already exists in non-U.S. markets, but Ford has told me (Oct. 2001) that there were no current plans to bring it to the U.S. market.

Will the Sport Trac live on under either the Explorer or Ranger badges? Only Ford knows and they are not talking.

Sport Trac - There is no substitute.

I hope Ford continues the Sport Trac with the current solid rear axle layout, probably as a Ranger derivative in the future. If they turn it into a minivan like the new Explorers, I may have to change my brand loyalty.

Back