What would you buy for your Explorer if you had $2,500? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would you buy for your Explorer if you had $2,500?

Take that $2.5k, buy tools (a MIG welder, plasma cutter, drill press, etc..) and start learning how to work with metal. After you learn how to make your own stuff, you dont have to waste money on buying things you can make - and you would have expanded your horizon by ten fold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4406 Conversion... Which would do away with AWD and have 2wd,n,4hi,4low

New lower control arms go for about $90 with new bushings and ball joint. So let's price it out.
Dorman lower control arm with ball joint and bushings $85 on rock auto, or

Lower bushing $20-$25
Ball joint $30
Plus probably an hour of shop labor to have the bushings replaced ~$70 if your lucky
and an extra hour of your time to replace the ball joint

So the way I see it, an entire control arm is the way to go, it'll be a lot cheaper in the end.

edit: as far as what I would get
built up 2wd transmission to get rid of my 4wd trans and transfer case

or coil overs, and a cam with all the supporting mods.

Thanks, new control arms are on the list.

Unless you like the exact stock ride height, you should toss the ARC air shocks and get normal shocks. Those ARC shocks are very expensive, and they don't like ride height adjustments.

Do the door seals, they are about $40 per door, still available. Put a PCM flasher on your list, if power and efficiency are goals. $2500 does not go far, I'm about $5000 over that.

What the heck is a PCM flasher?

I know these are new guy questions, but I am diehard mustang guy. I got the answer to anything Mustang (especially the Fox body), but the Explorer thing is new to me. Thanks so far for your help!!!

4406 Conversion... Which would do away with AWD and have 2wd,n,4hi,4low

I kinda like the AWD system. I just want to have a set of lockers in the back.

Will this work???:

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

I assume the rear in my truck is a 8.8 right?

For the front I really really don't care about lockers, after all only 30% of the drivetrain power goes that way and these Eatons lockers are hell expensive.

$2500 worth of Dixonbrothers racing LT

^ I agree...

if i had $2500 to blow... a quality LT suspension lift is what i would do

dixionbrothers makes an awesome 4x4 LT suspension

but if not that

headers, full exhaust, air intake, and chip

that and convert from AWD to just 4WD

See if you can find a good deal for a Zexel Torsen differential. Those are not for drag racing, but they do well for almost anything else. They have no clutches, all gears, they can last forever. There was someone on another forum selling two that were new, for about $385. I got my last one for $270, and now they retail for close to $600. Make a Yahoo search for "Torsen $385 new", that may find it.

The 95+ Explorers have OBDII computers, the PCM. To tune these PCM's takes a flasher device, the SCT Excal I, II, or III are the most common. The tuners can tune the engine for anything that you can do to it. A best tune needs to be done with a wideband O2 sensor for data logging though. Most of the hard core Explorer guys here have the flasher for their truck.

See if you can find a good deal for a Zexel Torsen differential. Those are not for drag racing, but they do well for almost anything else. They have no clutches, all gears, they can last forever. There was someone on another forum selling two that were new, for about $385. I got my last one for $270, and now they retail for close to $600. Make a Yahoo search for "Torsen $385 new", that may find it.

The 95+ Explorers have OBDII computers, the PCM. To tune these PCM's takes a flasher device, the SCT Excal I, II, or III are the most common. The tuners can tune the engine for anything that you can do to it. A best tune needs to be done with a wideband O2 sensor for data logging though. Most of the hard core Explorer guys here have the flasher for their truck.

I still don't see the point in a limited slip that can't handle a hard launch.

That's high powered drag racing, not typical street use. I have the impression that it will work great until you try to run say 500+ horsepower through it with unequal traction. Put one tire on pavement and one on gravel and hit the gas. That will eat up a traction lock very quickly.

A better in-shape Explorer :)

Do the AWD Explorer's have an 8.8 rear?

All solid rear axle explorers are 8.8 31 spline. The only minor difference is 91-94 had rear drums. 95 & up had four wheel disc except for the Sportrac.

All Explorers have a 31 spline 8.8 differential.

HELP I am replacing the 4.0 sohc engine What Parts do I need?

Can anyone give me some advice to insure that I wont be doing this again next year? I have a new radiator, rear seal, new hd battery, motor mounts so far. :feedback::smokinfro:fart::hammer::roll: Thanks in advance.

id pay off some of the stuff thats sitin on the garage floor....

id pay off some of the stuff thats sitin on the garage floor....

That's the nice thing, everything in my garage is paid for.

Well, hopefully I will have some money left over for some Eaton lockers.

Thanks again for helping me!!

David

Heck,
I would go to school and learn how to Rebuild/Repair Ford Transmissions...

With this info you can be Donald Trump next door neighbor.

Hehe.

Just for Laughs,

Jesse

Back