What would you do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would you do?

R

rock883

Ok, as some of you may know, I got a 15L7 recently, and my amp just inst pushing it enough, and I am about to get a DEI 1100D amp. This thing puts out 1100 watts at 1 ohm, and my sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, so I can get it to one ohm. This would put roughly 550 watts to each coil, maybe a little more which would be fine. Anyways, the amp is fairly small(compared to most amps with this amount of power) and I could probably just put it under the rear seat like I have my MTX. But I sort of want to make something on the box to accomodate the amp and sort of show off it and my cap I just got. I was thinking of maybe making a "tray" out of MDF to hold the amp and cap and mounting it in a hole cut out for it in my box. This would either go on top or on the driver's side of the box (here's a pic of my box:
L7-2.jpg

Then, I would make a little grille that would have speaker grille cloth on it to match the carpet I will be getting for it, and this would just go right in the hole in the box to cover up the amp and box and sit flush with the top of the box. Do you guys see what I am talking about? I simple terms, the tray housing the amp and cap would sit down in the box and have a "lid" covered in grille cloth to allow air in, and I could remove the lid to make adjustments to the amp, etc. Do you guys think I should do this, or do you have any better ideas? I know it would take up some of the volume of the box, but I don't think that it would affect the sound any. But I think that If I did this, I would more than likely bolt the box to the floor. I kind of wish I made the box to go across the whole back seat and not come out so far, and maybe go up a little higher to the top of the seat. That way it would of looked cleaner and had more room in the back, and I could of made some sort of flase floor to mount my amps and cap.
Actually, looking at the picture again, I think that making something along the whole side (driver's) of it wouldn't look that bad, what do you guys think or maybe just on the back that way no one knows its there? Let me know what you guys think I should do? Here's a link to specs on the amp from sounddomain.com: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/DEI1100D I won't be paying this much for mine, I will be paying around $320 or so for it. And any ideas would be helpful. Also, this amp has a remote bass knob and I think I am gonna drill a hole the size of the knob and have it come in between the 2 cupholders up front. I can't wait. I have a lot to do, though. I am going to re-wire my whole system, putting everything in wiring loom and labeling stuff to make it easier to work on and find stuff, and I am going to put 4 gauage wire to the new amp, and just have all the wires run nicely. I may even go get 4 different colors of 16 guage speaker wire for all the door speakers so I know which color goes to which door. I also have a new set of CDT components to put in the front. I am waiting on a lot of stuff to come in, like wiring, terminals, adapters, the cap, and possibly the amp if I win it on ebay.

That amp may be just a little too much for that sub. That's an awesome amp though. DEI is know for a really clean sounding amp. I wouldn't mount the amp on top of the box. It would be too high and just look kinda funky.

Instead build an amp rack for it out of MDF in the shape of a right triangle. The tall end of the triangle would go up against the box and the slanted angle would hold the amp flush along with the amp. That would look sick.

Steve

I was pondering that idea, but thought maybe it would look weird just on one side.
About the amp, it was one of 3 amps recommended to me by asounddomain.com's forum member that works for kicker. He rec. the DEI amp, the lanzar 1200D (1200 wattsx1@1ohm), and the JBL 1200.1 (appr.1300 watts@1ohm). The DEI has the lowest rating of the 3. He told me that they have seen people running this amount of power to the 12L7's.
And another thing on the box. I went and got a quart of fiberglass resin, and some hardener, and I am going to mess around with this to get the hang of it and I may try to make a fiberglass box going from one of the wheel wellhumps to the other. Not going over them because that would make it sound worse. But I am going to make it sort of like this box I found on the internet this guy made for his RX-7.

Back