What would you save or do? Saving parts from a 1991? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would you save or do? Saving parts from a 1991?

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
Both my 1994 and 1991 Explorers are not able to drive on the road. The 1994 is relegated to farm duty since it still runs but has transmission issues that mean only 1st and reverse work. My beloved 1991 failed me this summer (trans pan dumped fluid) and has been sitting in shame since.

The 1991 has 246k on the clock, engine ticking, occasionally runs rough, oil leaks, requires premium gas, has a leaky windshield and rear windows, has the steering box leaking, has no AC, no ABS, speakers are blown out and I'm sure other things I've repressed in my memory.

The 1994 is not in horrible shape. Engine has 190K on it and is silent and smooth, it has ABS, premium sound system, no real leaks (minor radiator), doesn't care what gas I give it or how long the gas has sat in the tank, power windows and while the AC doesn't work, I could possibly retrofit. The major downside is the trans not wanting to come out of 1st. I've done a TON of diagnosis on this and haven't made any progress aside from being pretty sure that the valve body is clogged up with crud. I've checked all the brakes, repacked the front wheel bearings, replaced brake hoses, done radius arm bushings, exchanged all fluids and gotten it usable as a farm rig.

My thoughts are to bail on the 1991 and see if swapping the valve body fixes the 1994. If not, I might think about swapping transmissions but I don't like that so much. But, if it does work... game on.

My question for all of you is would you do this? If so, what would you save from the 1991? I may not have a long-term place to store the 1991 for parts so it might have to get sent to the junkyard after I scavenge.

My short list of parts off the top of my head would be:
Valuable electronics like the computer and sensors
Whole rear axle (the 1991 has limited slip and I rebuilt the brakes less than a year ago)
Tires & wheels
Front Axles (thinking of lifting and making the 1994 a mild offroader)
Transmission (while the 1991 leaks, having it out means I can attempt to fix, it is worthwhile as it was rebuilt professionally)
Seats (they're from a newer Ranger

Any ideas or thoughts on parts or my plan of attack here?

Back