What year is PAT'S used on Explorers? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What year is PAT'S used on Explorers?

Al's info is correct. If it's EPATS, that is extremly difficult to disable it. I can throw a flag to disable it, but it has to be on a brand new (not remanufactured) PCM. Once you actually program the pats keys into a new EEC it burns somthing in the ROM that prevents me from disabling EPATS.

Also if you want, wire up a 97 or earlier EEC-V. They are similar, and don't have real EPATS. IPATS (mustangs and some others) can be much more easily disabled.

Brian

I'm wanting to disable PATS because the engine is going into a Jeep (sorry) and transplanting the guts in the column it's something I want to do.

From what I can tell, to use a 96/97 non PATS computer on a 98 motor there are some sensors to swap and deal with the EGR issue. Is this the best route since I can't find a 96/97 complete system?

Appreciate the help!

Now that I think about it, how difficult is it to pull the pats from the column. Would it be silly to wire up the sensor and then premanently mount the key in range...while still using my stock column & key for actual starting?

Back