• Register Today It's free!

What's a good temporary shock?

Explo01

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Co. California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I'm gonna install maybe 31" tires on my Sport with about a 1.5" TT. In the future I plan on getting a taller lift, but for right now I'm searching for temporary shocks to replace the OE shocks on all four corners. I want an inexpensive shock that doesn't sacrifice quality. What do you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pro comp 3000's are pretty good for the price, my ride got a 100 times better and i just put the rears on.

Gabriel VST.

What Alec said, Gabriel VST. I think you could get them at PepBoys for under $100 for all 4.

I'll be doing a search on those. BTW, are the Rancho RS5000s as good as the above mentioned?

I'd go ahead and get Rancho 9000s instead of 5000s. The 9000s are adjustable and some don't like the 5000s ride.

ProComp MX-6 shocks

Those RS9000X shocks run for about $335.99 (all four) and the ProComp MX-6 shocks run for about $368.99 (all four). I'm just saying if I were to spend over $300 for a set of shocks, I wouldn't mind spending a little more for ProComps. So how does that one match up against the Rancho one?

I went to my local Pep Boys shop and they only offer the VST Gas Ryder. Don't they make the VST Gas Ryder LT for Explorers? The only difference in the LT shock is that it has an extra large fluid reservoir.

Back