What's the best lowering option for my situation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the best lowering option for my situation?

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2019 Sport with 75k. I'm want to lower it enough to be noticed and handle better. I'm not looking to slam it, but I also don't want to put the time and $ in and see a 1" drop. Looks like H&R and Steeda. Is Steeda just rebranded H&R? What have people seen in terms of real world lowering on a sport with these options? Other options?

Does not appear a camber kit is needed, but want to be sure. If so, which is needed? I saw a few links about adjusting a few components to bring it into spec.

Appreciate the insight. Looking to move on this next week. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steeda is a forum vendor and as far as I know, makes its own products.

Peter

HR springs will get you lowest on stock suspension. You will need a specific camber bolt kit they sell for the SHO (also works on Explorer).

I have seen coilover kits for the 5th gen but they are pricey but probably more of what you are looking for if you want that low profile look. The HR springs drop 1 or 2 inches

I did just that. I ordered the springs and bolts. Are the bolts only needed in the rear?

One word of caution… duck your head when approaching the open tailgate wether from the side or directly from the back! I have occasionally forgotten and hit my head a few times including nocking my hat off a couple of times to the amusement of my wife and friends. Besides that the lowering springs are totally worth it. Also consider Steeda’s sway bar, adjustable toe links and trailing arms. Enjoy your lowered ride.

Not something I would have thought of, so thanks for the tip! :)

Springs are back ordered everywhere. I have one order placed with delivery set for around 4/20. Another for 5/20. We'll see who wins! HAHA.

I'm looking to do this too. Would you post some before / after pics please?

Well, I have two orders placed - at two different retail firms. First one here, wins! :) But, soonest appears the end of April, sadly. Yes, I will take measurements and photos. I just performed the same on my wifes new Tiguan and they settled another 1/2" over the last month since I installed them. Very happy with the ride - not harsh. I can really hardly tell any difference.

Well, I have two orders placed - at two different retail firms. First one here, wins! :) But, soonest appears the end of April, sadly. Yes, I will take measurements and photos. I just performed the same on my wifes new Tiguan and they settled another 1/2" over the last month since I installed them. Very happy with the ride - not harsh. I can really hardly tell any difference.
Any update on this?

Peter

Any update on this?

Peter
Yes! I did end up having the H&R springs installed. The ride is basically the same. On bumpy roads, it's just slightly more harsh. The stance is so much better. I really enjoy the way that it looks. Handling might be slightly better, too; though, I did it for the looks more than anything.

I always struggle getting photos on this site as I am not a contributing member any longer. If there is an easier way, let me know as I have plenty of shots that I can share! :)

Shumax

^I've only ever used the method of posting from my computer since I keep my membership up-to-date. Have you tried using the "Insert image" button to the left of the smiley face? Some use a 3rd party hosting site but only those pictures posted by way of the Elite Explorer membership are saved to the servers. Others seem to disappear after a while which can be very frustrating later on.

Peter

Back