What's the difference between K&N and KKM? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the difference between K&N and KKM?

PunkChild

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I know that the KKM is just an open conical filter kit, but is the K&N any different? My friend has a K&N kit on his Jeep, his kit has the filter, a smooth tube to the throttle body, and a Plastic piece that goes around the filter to seal out the hot air from inside the engine. Does the K&N kit for the Explorer include the same stuff? If it does I'd much rather buy the K&N. Thanks for any info.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The filter you are describing on your friends jeep, is one of the more expensive filter kits, it increases the air flow to the engine more than just a filter element alone, which k&n sells for about $40-$45 for an explorer. The kit on the jeep i think runs about $150 for an explorer.

K&N makes a stock replacement filter which they sometimes call a "filter charger". The item the your friends jeep might be the "Filter Charger II" or "Filter Charger Injection Performance Kit". Quite confusing at times. K&N provides the smog/CARB sticker for the IPK that they make. They do not make these kits for all explorer model years!

KKM makes for all model years (I believe) but does not include a smog/CARB sticker. KKM does not provide a new "smooth" intake runner that K&N does.

The design of the S&B filter is slightly different than the K&N, but basically the same.

Given a choice of both, I would probably use the K&N since it has the smog/CARB sticker.

D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, hyperchip, magnacor wires and Bosch +4 plugs

what do you mean when you say a smog/CARB sticker?

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Jim, I used the conical k&m filter with some foam weatherstrip as a seal and just removed the air box. I've made a horriable looking heat shield out of tin that I hope to replace now that the weather is warmer.
rubber mud flap material ought to work.
Cant tell much about the power gains but it sounds better. Probably the smooth tube is better but it's $100 more also.
Might give it a try...

------------------
Bill Kemp 96 XLT 4x4 4. OHV

Smog/CARB sticker.

My SuperChip came with a card that I keep in the truck so when I go to the smog place, I hand the man all the smog/CARB cards/stickers and he enters them into the computer and does a visual check as well. I'll need to do this with the headers as well.

So I'll have to remove the KKM and but the stock airbox back in to pass smog.

All this modifying that we do to the motor/emissions is illegal without a smog/CARB exemption. Cams are the same way but much more difficult to visualy check/inspect! Dead Link Removed

D

------------------
David Cider
'92 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L 4Dr 4...

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:
JBA headers, 4" Suspension Lift, Tires & Wheels

Does that mean the KKM is an illegal upgrade?

No, it not "illegal" since you drive your Explorer off road only, right... Dead Link Removed

*Flame on*
As I understand it, you may not modify your vehicle in any way, shape or form that would alter the emissions or operational parameters from the OEM parts that were originally installed on your vehicle. No cams, carbs, pistons, air filters, mufflers, CAT, spark plug wires, spark plugs, superchargers, headders...

Unless the vehicle is for off-road or the part has a smog/CARB sticker to certify its use. And it doesn't matter whether this part would actually IMPROVE your emissions or not. With some modifications actually being a Federal Offence (CAT removal).
*Flame Off*

There are those more knowledgeable than me, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
David Cider

Current Mods:
Hi flo cat and muffler, KKM Air intake, SuperChip, Magnacor wires and AutoLite Double Platnum plugs

Pending Mods:

Thanks for all your info. I will be ordering a K&N kit soon, but right now I just bought JBA headers for $399 so I have to earn a little more money. Thanks again.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

Jim,

Let me know what you think of your JBA headders. I will get up to my mechanic next weekend to do the install for mine. Did you get the ceramic coated ones for $399 and a REALLY great deal?

D

------------------
David Cider

Current Mods:

Pending Mods:

I'll let you know. Mine get in on monday, but I'm going to be in Europe until the next monday. Hopefully my exhaust will be in too. I ordered it from carparts.com on march 17 and now they've been delayed 3 times, now the expected shipping date 4/13.
I think I'm getting the regular finish on the headers, but I can't be sure. Everyone else that I tried would've charged my $490 or more so I guess I got a good deal. I submitted a link to the shop I use, if you want to check it out its www.hpmotorsport.com/ they do a lot of work with fords. I'd check it out if I were you.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
Skaman0182@yahoo.com
96 Sport 5-speed
JBA headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.
Coming soon: