Wheel bearing... Brake rotors?

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Okay, so I'm having this "grinding" sound occur at low speeds, isn't constant, almost like the rotor is warped and grinding out... But the pads, rotors are less then 6 months old.

My mechanic thinks it could be the bearings, but i'm not sure about that... I replaced the bearings less then a year ago.

Drives fine, but wont' stay aligned when I take to alignment shop... This is what I've done over the last year trying to 'fix' it.

New Pads
New Rotors
New Bearings
New Seals
New Outer Tie Rods
New Ball joints, upper and lower on each side.

I'm going to take off the rotors sometime this week, or next week, and have them turned to be sure they're true. I've tried re-packing the bearings when I replaced the ball joints, but if anything it got worse.

I'm also having issues with my brakes, when I brake with medium pressure, it feels like they're are high and low spots... Like it grabs more in one area, let's go a little bit, then grabs hard again... Is this the rotors warped all ready? Or could it be the rear drum brakes? I've never even TOUCHED the rear brakes since I bought the Explorer in April of 2005...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm also having issues with my brakes, when I brake with medium pressure, it feels like they're are high and low spots... Like it grabs more in one area, let's go a little bit, then grabs hard again... Is this the rotors warped all ready? Or could it be the rear drum brakes? I've never even TOUCHED the rear brakes since I bought the Explorer in April of 2005...

My '96 was making the grinding sound, and I too had only recently replaced the front pads. Sure enough, I had metal on metal in the rear. It appeared to be the original pads at 90k miles. (4 wheel discs)

The rears do last a lot longer than the fronts but they do eventually wear out.

I have a 1993... so I have drums and shoes in the back...

But if you could hear it, the grinding sound is coming from the front... I'm thinking maybe the bearing got some debris in it, or weren't installed right... I'm jacking it up today, and I'm gonna get a buddy to spin the tires, if I hear the sound.. I'll know which tire it is.

did ya figure it out? i have the same thing... i think it's my front pads tho. i was thinking it bearings as well. good luck!

just haven't had time to do anything. or the money to really.

it's just making me mad, because the sound has always been there since i've had the truck, even with everything i've replaced.

my front pads aren't grinding, i checked them yesterday morning through the caliper, and they're still pretty thick, it's got to be the bearings...

Do you have a local pick and pull or junk yard? Or if you have the money, buy it straight up.

If so, this is what I would do. Well, this is only if you don't want to take it to a shop.

Make a list of possible causes from least expensive to most expensive. Then start knocking them out one by one. Check them off until you stop hearing the sound. Replace little things too. Sometimes the smallest things might have some sand or dirt in them, or they might be worn down without you knowing. However, this is a trial and error method (my preference for learning), but it is definitely not the most efficient or cost effective. The only reason I say do one at a time is to save money instead of getting a whole bunch of things at once hoping you catch it. I can't imagine it be parts less than one year old; however, maybe if you didn't seat the bearings right, they wore out causing the noise. Although, you said you replaced the bearings in the past year and the noise persisted even with new bearings... Hmmmmm... Could be something else all together.

Does it affect the drivability? (other than the brake grabbing).

Just realized this thread is from 2008... Nice...

Replaced my left rear wheel bearing on my 05 explorer about a year ago. Now a new intermittent, creaking noise (makes the noise every rotation) jacked up the truck and no noise. Noise only happens under load when driving. The emergency shoes are shot could that be causing noise? After trans work 6 mo.'s ago, the shop said rotor was seemed warped. But noise just started. Replaced the brakes seemed like it went away but now is back.

How about checking the differential fluids. It takes a very specific fluid depending on the axle you have. I have a 93 with an axle code of d4. The codes can be found on the drivers side door on a sticker and then look up your specific code on this forum. Someone had posted a list of codes and axles.
Chances are it has never been changed. Could be a gear or bearing in there.

Back