wheel spacers...good or bad??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheel spacers...good or bad???

hi, i just recently received a copy of the performance products catalog and saw that they have wheels spacers for explorers.

my question is that is it safe to put these on. the spacer i plan to get extends out about an inch. i have a '97 explorer sport with the factory fender flares and would like to fill in the space without getting new rims.

i dont do any offroading as many of you guys do. my explorer is mainly city driving in ny(so you can say its like off-roading Dead Link Removed ) and highway driving in nj.

thanks for any help,
Jate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard that using spacers is not a good idea. The same would apply for putting on new rims with a large offset. It has something to do with added stress to the axle or something. Whether this is true or not, I don’t know for sure. You may want to consider putting on a set of 31X10.5 15R tires. They fit on your stock rim and fill the wheel well nicely. I have stock suspension on my 97 Sport and have not rubbed once. Admittedly, I haven’t gone off roading with them yet.

------------------
'97 Sport 4X4

i would get 31x10.5r15 but, my sport came with 16"rims. the chrome ones like the eddie bauers. i already like those rims so i dont want to replace them. do u think that one inch is that much of an offset? what size tire do you recommend for 16" rims?

thanks
Jate

Why not go with 31x10.5x16 size tires? If you crank up your torsions in the front you should have no trouble with clearance. I have them on my 15 inch rims and cranked torsions with plenty of room. I am sure another inch of rim wouldnt matter.

Jordan

hey guys, im new to this board and also would like to know if wheel spacers are safe.

i might get them also. how much do they go for?

btw i have a '97 XLT with the 4.0L SOHC engine and have aftermarket flares. I would like to extend the wheels out right to the fenders.

thanks

You can use them,BUT you'll be replacing your wheel bearings alot sooner than normal. Like Cameron said, it does put more stress on the axles.
My .02 is go for the wider tires. I have seen them on Poser jeeps before and they DO NOT look good. Do it right the first time, and you won't have to do it again.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

hey guys, thanks for the heads up!!! im having second thoughts about it now. the most important thing is to keep the trunk running, not destroy it.

thanks again.

hey guys, thanks for the heads up!!! im having second thoughts about it now. the most important thing is to keep the truck running, not destroy it.

thanks again.

Hi Jate,
BFG does not make a 31X10.5 R16 tire. They make a 31X10.5 R16.5 tire. I don't think that will work, but I'm not sure. They DO MAKE a LT265/70R16 that is almost the same as a 31X10.5 R16. Hope this helps. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back