• Register Today It's free!

wheel spacers with stock wheels?

matt351

Reaction score
City, State
Terre Haute, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Anyone running wheel spacers on their trucks with stock rims? I posted this in the wheels and tires section but apparently that area gets very little traffic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not but I don't see any problems with it.

I have stock 16" teardrops and I've run 1.5" spacers front and rear for many years without issues. People will give you the physics, tell you the adapter ends up bearing too much load and this is bad, but I don't know anyone who's broken studs or ruined bearing using properly designed and installed spacers.

Make sure to use hub-centric spacers.

Factory wheels are hub centric. If your cragars are non-hub centric then it puts a lot of extra stress on the studs.

Factory wheels are hub centric. If your cragars are non-hub centric then it puts a lot of extra stress on the studs.

There is no way, I would have different lug nuts if that's the case. I have conical lug nits, and every vehicle that I have ever worked that has hub centric wheels has had the flat style lug nuts.

For and example the one on the left is for a Hub-Centric wheel, and the one on the Right is a Lug-Centric wheel... does anybodys lugs look like the hub centric one? Mine don't and Im sort of concerned now...

lc-lugs-jpg.jpg

Sorry for the thread highjack....

The factory wheels are both hub- and lug-centric. Why? Who knows, but that's the way Ford designed them. There are inexpensive hub centering rings that are supposed to be used with after market wheels. The factory hub bore diameter is 70.3mm. Your wheels are 3.30 inches or 83.82mm. Seems like everyone carries the 71.5mm which is Jeep hub size.

In all honestly it probably isn't that big a deal with just the wheels, but when running spacers it makes a big difference to prevent sheering lugs.

Was doing a little google-fu. Apparently factory lug- and hub-centric set up is really common. Seems like for most applications the plastic rings are recommended anywhere in the snow belt. I would imagine the jeep set would work ok for your wheels since the size difference is only 1.2mm for about 1/2mm of gap around the hub which I'm sure is within the tolerances of the factory wheels. Cheap insurance to help prevent broken lugs.

I also did some research, it does seem that almost all of the manufacturers do both, not sure on the reasoning, but I hear you on the whole cheap insurance idea. I'll be sure to get a set before I throw on my 31s.

I have been running stock tear drops with a 2" spacer in the rear for the past 2 years without any issue...
IMG_20121222_181410.jpg
IMG_20121222_181649.jpg
IMG_20121222_181631.jpg

The rear wheels are so tucked in the fenders, they look stupid. I say +25mm spacers are a MUST! If yours got fender flairs (Eddie Bauer, Limited) get +50mm spacers!

There is no way, I would have different lug nuts if that's the case. I have conical lug nits, and every vehicle that I have ever worked that has hub centric wheels has had the flat style lug nuts.

For and example the one on the left is for a Hub-Centric wheel, and the one on the Right is a Lug-Centric wheel... does anybodys lugs look like the hub centric one? Mine don't and Im sort of concerned now...

lc-lugs-jpg.jpg

Sorry for the thread highjack....

The type of lug but has no bearing on weather the wheel is hub or lug centric. Nearly all(99%) manufacturers use hub centric wheels. The lug holes aren't necessarily lug centric but the wheels sure are. Manufacturers use hub centric because it ensures an easier balanced wheel to hub mating which in turn results in a smoother ride and comfort. Some cheap aftermarket wheels are made lug centric, typically old aluminum wheels or some steel wheels, but this is not desirable for the smoothest feeling ride especially on the steering wheels. Lug centric wheels require a special method of balancing also where the wheel is mounted on the balancer by the lug holes like it would be on the car to be balanced correctly.

I have stock 16" teardrops and I've run 1.5" spacers front and rear for many years without issues. People will give you the physics, tell you the adapter ends up bearing too much load and this is bad, but I don't know anyone who's broken studs or ruined bearing using properly designed and installed spacers.

Did you have any rubbing issues with your steer tires. I'm about to buy a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers for my 2nd gen Eddie Bauer.

I've got 1" hub-centric spacers front and rear on my 2000 Eddie Bauer. I put them on the rear to move the tires out a little due to the fender flares. I put them on the front to get extra clearance for the 265/75/16 MT tires. (They would rub on the sway bar without the spacers). I haven't had any issues with either yet. Then again, I only got 1" spacers as that is all I needed. The spacers fit on the hubs so snug they had to be pulled on with using the lugnuts. Probably have to use a puller to get them off again.

1 1/2" spacers is the max to me and what I have done with Limited 16's. If you go less than that you will probably have to cut the lugs shorter.

I used 1" spacers and I actually did trim about an 1/8" off the front studs just to be sure. The rear didn't seem to need trimming.

I used 1" spacers and I actually did trim about an 1/8" off the front studs just to be sure. The rear didn't seem to need trimming.
Maybe it's time for some longer control arms, if the wheels need to go out that much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good idea... Where might one go about getting these longer control arms?

Back