wheel spacers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheel spacers

has anyone tried one og those wheel spacers? I was looking through my proformance products catolog and saw they they had thease things called wheel spacers. you can get them in 1" and in 1 3/4" all you do is bolt the spacer where the rim ushally goes and then your rim is put on new bolts on the spacer. i would like my tire to stick out some more so this would be good if it will work. just thinking about it i would think it would make the link between the axle and the rim weaker than normal but would it make that much of a difference. another thing is how would it effect braking because its always nice to be able to stop when you want to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used them in the paast, with a 1-1/2" thickness. The inner bolts tend to loosen, and they put extra stress on your wheel bearings. Other than that, I had no problems. I used them to mount 17x9 Cobra R wheels onto my truck.

I'm using those exact wheel spacers on my Cobra R Rims also. They are actually from H&R, very good quality.

-Willie

I keep thinking how good my X would look with the EB flares and wheels spaced out 2 inches...like the Land Cruiser but what a dilemma...

With spacers, it would look cool but stress out the bearings too much and maybe stress the steering geometry.

Without spacers, it would look like the wheels were unnaturally too close.

So my question is...the folks with the EB flares...do you guys have wider wheels or different axles or what?

Thanks, AC

Yes and to add to MLB2's question...would anyone with real road experience chime in on what they noticed after using wheel spacers for awhile?

Thanks again...

-AC

Originally posted by MLB2Night
my question is, will the simple 1" spacers do that much harm?

My answer to that is.... I've put over 30,000+ miles on my Explorer with the spacers on and no problems. The answer is NO harm done to my Explorer.

Originally posted by ACBlessing
Yes and to add to MLB2's question...would anyone with real road experience chime in on what they noticed after using wheel spacers for awhile?

Real road experience? Does over 30,000 miles count? All I've noticed is my truck handles much better. No excessive tire wear, no pulling to the left or right, still drives straight as an arrow. Anything else?

Thanks Willie!!! ;-)

-AC

Back