• Register Today It's free!

'Wheeling in an Escape?

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Has anyone actually taken a Ford Escape off roading? I'm looking around at my options for replacing my Outback. I've looked at other Explorers, B2s, and now the Escape as potential options. I know that H&R makes lift springs for the Escape, and I know of a guy who makes Subaru lift kits and could most likely make a 4-6" lift for an Escape, too (check out his work at sjrlift.com). It'll be my daily driver, but since I'm often forced to drive in way-less-than-ideal driving conditions without warning (logging does this to you), I'd like some off-road capability in my daily driver. Sooooo....anyone know anything about 'wheeling an Escape?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was is on here I heard about the off road team running the Escapes in a stock suspension class with 33's on them? They were allowed to cut the wheel wells up, but all suspension had to be factory, and they held up relatively well. I'm thinking maybe they even squeezed 35's under them, but that seems unlikely to me. I think with mud tires, and a moddest lift an Escape would be logging road capable, unless it was really rutted, and muddy.

Have you ever seen the size of the axles on an escape....they are the size of my baby finger.

Axle strength is definitely one of my major concerns with the Escape, but I'm also wondering about suspension integrity (which seems to be good if what Mbrooks420 says is indeed correct). I'm thinking of possibly cutting the actual shaft itself off the CV joint and rewelding on a much thicker diameter shaft. How about the V6 motor/auto trans? Keep in mind that I wouldn't be doing real hard core off road, just negotiating trails that would make someone in a half-ton pickup work a little at it.

From what I recall they never DNF'ed the Escape, and never broke anything suspension wise in the races. I assume the life span of the components are way down.

A 31.5" tire and light-duty use should be fine then, I'd say. It might stress things a little more than stock, but not too badly.

Does the Escape have low range? I think the t case might be a single speed.

Either "auto", where it's an on-demand system that stays in FWD until wheel spin is detected, or "on", which is basically 4Hi. The center diff is locked and it should not be run on pavement/hard packed, high friction surfaces.

I prefer front drive as the main, with supplemental read drive

For everyday driving, it is best, but for more performance driving, not as much.

What's the performance disadvantage to primary front drive?

FYI:
One thing about the Escape that you won't be able to get around is the fact that they designed the engine with a low mount alternator. If you ever anticipate doing any stream crossings at all - even shallow ones - be aware that you'll be submerging the alternator and toast the electrical system.

Is it shielded at all so flinging mud wouldn't cake it?

my mom had an escape limited, it was nice. dont think it would wheel well though

Hello

My wife had one 6 years ago when we met. I took it off roading (light duty) and thats all its good for. It was fun to follow the bikes but it took a **** kicking. Power stearing hose are very low on the 2004. I like it as a DD and a 2 person camper. A little tight but more fun.

igiveup

What's the performance disadvantage to primary front drive?

Understeer, mostly. Even when a system switches to AWD, if it's primary front, then the torque bias will be toward the front still. Any system that can switch to AWD on the fly is going to be hard to drive just because you never truly know when the AWD will kick in at certain times.

And thanks for the heads up about the alternator, that's very useful. I wonder if there's a way to get it up out of the way, or at least seal it from the elements.

My Subaru is more stable in slick high speed turns, (of course it is due to weight, and low center of gravity) The Mounty is much easier to break loose on a turn, and slide the whole truck. The Subaru just pulls. The Escape isn't really AWD though.

If the Subaru has the 4AT in it, then it can split torque up to 90/10 (f/r) in the "D" position, whereas 50/50 at all times with the 5MT. In 3,2, and 1 auto shifter positions, it's a 50/50 torque split. When cornering fast in 3, my Outback likes to rotate and get the rear end kicked out. In D, my front tires break traction and nothing happens. I don't really lose much turning ability since the rear tires are still pushing along with the front tires trying to pull a little faster.

Back