Superlift questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift questions.

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Guys I've been tossing around either putting the superlift on my 97 explore 5.0 or getting a Jeep and being done with the Explorer. When I read about the superlift it says 4 inch lift so is it 4 inches with just the components from superlift or with a TT and components combined? Also can I just buy the superlift components for living the front-end only and do a spring over axel conversation on the rear to save some money?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The superlift brackets are actually 3" , you add another inch with torsion bar adjustment. This is deemed acceptable for CV angle.

Doing a SOA in rear will net a minimum of 5.5" , and you will fight axle wrap. You might be able to make a leaf pack that will work well, but the superlift springs work pretty good.

The Jeep might be your best choice for a wheeler, but if you want to wheel in greater comfort with better reliability I suggest building your explorer.

Yes comfort is very important to me and the Explorer is so much nicer than the Jeeps I go wheeling with. And it seems like everytime we go out its the Jeeps that breakdown. But on the other hand I am looking to go a little more advanced in the four wheeling department. I feel that basically have reached a plateau with the Explorer. I'm a Ford guy through and through but maybe it's time to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 - 2004. With the Jeep Grand Cherokees you don't really sacrifice comfort.

I loved my Superlift on my 99; wish my 96 had it but I was in no mood to swap it over to my 96 before I sold my 99. It cleared 35x12.50's and turned full lock to lock with not even a chance of rubbing. Ride was a big rough but not unbearable.

0809151740b_zpsj56iymwk.jpg

0809151740d_zpsve3rnocl.jpg

You've reached the plateau with your Explorer? How so? What are you looking to do with your 4wheeling adventures?

You'd be surprised with a GOOD limited slip or locker will do for you.

Do you still have your rear sway bar?

The Jeep certainly has a much greater aftermarket

Could always jump over to a Bronco instead of a silly Jeep like everyone else. They're way more capable in stock form and don't have the torsion bars hanging down to worry about smashing into things.

Back