Whelen Wig Wag for PIU

yhdavid

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 PIU
Hi all,

I’m trying to get wig wag headlights for my 2017 PIU, and so far I found the Whelen SSFFP16 to be probably the easiest plug-and-play module, but it requires the 60A option. Does anyone know how to check if my car has it? And how would you control it? (The module only has a plug and a little white box, I don’t know if Ill need a whole control box for that)

I’m also open to any other options that would give me the wig wag headlights. I’m using my car as a daily so I might not be able to take apart the entire car.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the vehicle for emergency purposes as well? If not, you should check your local laws to see if they would be legal.

Peter

My '16 doesn't have any of the factory wig-wag options. If memory serves, you'd need to look on the passenger side near the headlight for a bundle of wires if your vehicle has the option. (Or, find a dealer that can give you the build info on your rig) If equipped from Ford...you'd only need the Whelen plug in.

I just came across plug and play modules by SoundOff. With the exception of power, switch, ground...they are plug and play. These are for vehicles without the factory set up

At least in PA, this stuff is legal as long as you don't use it on the highway.

My '16 doesn't have any of the factory wig-wag options. If memory serves, you'd need to look on the passenger side near the headlight for a bundle of wires if your vehicle has the option. (Or, find a dealer that can give you the build info on your rig) If equipped from Ford...you'd only need the Whelen plug in.

I just came across plug and play modules by SoundOff. With the exception of power, switch, ground...they are plug and play. These are for vehicles without the factory set up

At least in PA, this stuff is legal as long as you don't use it on the highway.
Did you have a separate control panel/relay for the switches and power? And would you mind briefly telling me how you wired the power? Thanks!

Did you have a separate control panel/relay for the switches and power? And would you mind briefly telling me how you wired the power? Thanks!
I haven’t installed anything like that in my vehicle yet..,,When I do, I may use the switch area where the tow or tailgate buttons go. You’d have to replace that part in an interceptor

I haven’t installed anything like that in my vehicle yet..,,When I do, I may use the switch area where the tow or tailgate buttons go. You’d have to replace that part in an interceptor
I see I see…I’m wondering if the 6-way/14-way or any of the factory plugs would work/be easier…
If my car has the factory wig wag how would I control it?

I see I see…I’m wondering if the 6-way/14-way or any of the factory plugs would work/be easier…
First, you need to download the upfitters guide for your vehicle. A quick search will find it...it's free.

I have both of those connectors, and they aren't for wig-wag. Speaking only for the SoundOff versions, you need to supply battery power, switch and ground. If you're not comfortable with that....you'd likely be better working with an up fitter or maybe an alarm shop can help. As I understand, you set up the wig-wag pattern with a wire from the unit by either grounding or supplying power.

The 6 way connector supplies hot and ground for 3 heavier circuits. The 14 way provides battery +, Run/Start power, connections for steering wheel controls (if equipped)...etc. Not for wig wag.

Be VERY careful with wig-wags as they are highly illegal in many states unless you work for a towing business, EMS or FD
The only other way of getting by is the amber if you are fully stopped/parked and NOT moving in your personal vehicle.
Just trying to CYA here. NO! I am NOT a LEO.

Be VERY careful with wig-wags as they are highly illegal in many states unless you work for a towing business, EMS or FD
The only other way of getting by is the amber if you are fully stopped/parked and NOT moving in your personal vehicle.
Just trying to CYA here. NO! I am NOT a LEO.
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up!

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up!
No problem
Happy New year for you and yours.
Anything has to be better than last year!

I have a question about these flashers. I've been reading on-line that some of these actually can cause problems with the BCM and other electronics. Is it safe to assume that a "plug in" version would be safer to use than one that needs to be wired...or a OBD solution?

Back