When full width is too wide | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When full width is too wide

My father in law has a 1972 blazer with a 6 on 5.5 dana 44 front axle. He picked up some 2006ish 17" silverado wheels. He had to have the center opened up to cleared the hubs. Then with the deep off set they hit something on the steering. He ended up getting 1.25" spacers so everything would clear. Don't forget the possible loss of turning radius with a bunch of backspacing with the tires hitting springs or links.

Sounds like a PITA.

I should have plenty of turning clearance, I planned ahead for this when I set my links and inboarded them a little extra.

It's hard to find a good looking set of aftermarket wheels these days, everything is so gaudy and ugly.

I might go with something like the Ultra Maverick. $133/ea, 17x8, 5.31" BS, 106mm CB (D44 needs 87mm).

ultra_maverick_mba_ci3_l.jpg

Those aren't gaudy and ugly?

I like a set of aluminium 589s or a set of steel blackys.

I think you are over thinking it dude. Fancy wheels don't make it go over the rocks better! If you are worried about width, then narrow the axle.

Is that diesel in there yet?

Sweet ride by the way. I was thinking it would be rad to put a 302 in one of those newer sports since they all but plug in. Love the body style. Sad to hear so many bad things about the SOHC engine.

Back