• Register Today It's free!

When should the A/C oil be added

Sundance

Reaction score
City, State
Suisun city, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I am replacing my A/C compressor, suction hose and accumulator/dryer on my 1995 XLT Explorer and have a question.

In order for the warranty on the parts to be valid I need to have the system flushed before vac. it down and charging it. I don't have the equipment for this so I will have it done at a local shop.

My question is ...the manual says when replacing the accum/dryer to pore out the oil and then put that amount of new oil plus 1 oz. in the new ACCUM/DRYER. should this be done before it's flushed or after?

Any tips and advice on A/C work in addition to the answer to the above question will be welcomed.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the shop is going to be doing the compressor and components replacement, the machine they use for A/C will be able to completely evacuate the system and measures exactly how much refrigerant and how much oil comes out. But with a new compressor and new system components, they will fill it to the factory oil level. The only time you need to do the measure+add is when you remove the system charge and compressor to service something else.

If you're going to be installing the compressor and components yourself, make sure you get those factory numbers. My Ford service manual only goes back to '96, and assuming nothing's changed if you have the 4.0, the factory fill is 30ml (1 Fluid Ounce).

If you're going to be installing the compressor and components yourself, make sure you get those factory numbers. My Ford service manual only goes back to '96, and assuming nothing's changed if you have the 4.0, the factory fill is 30ml (1 Fluid Ounce).

Yes, I'm going to install everything and have a shop evac. and charge/fill with freon. What I am not sure of is when to put in the oil. The flush which is required when replacing the compressor per. the Mfg. to have the 2 year warranty in effect, will it just flush out the oil I put in? If so then it doesn't make any since to put in the oil before the flush.

My manual (Haynes after market) Just says measure what in in it and add one oz.more. Of course since the old Accmu. is many years old no telling if it's even close to factory spec. as far as quantity. I'll have to do a little more research on that but you are probably right.

Thanks for the info.

The shop will add the oil after they evacuate the system. If nothing else, they will want to do so for liability purposes to make sure the system was charged properly, but you can also speak to them directly and be sure how they want to proceed.

Replace what comes out, + the 1 oz. then let the A/C tech do the rest.

i would also add in in-line filter to catch anything that the flush might miss. it doesn't take much to ruin your new compressor. it's cheap insurance.

i would also add in in-line filter to catch anything that the flush might miss. it doesn't take much to ruin your new compressor. it's cheap insurance.

If the compressor he is replacing is a Motorcraft unit, the filter is actually required for the warranty to be valid. Which brand did you go with Sundance?

Back