Where can i find a spindle nut socket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can i find a spindle nut socket

LOGJOCKY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leduc, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
The wheel bearings on my x need to be repacked but there is just 1 problem. When i went to get the spindle nut wrench/socket to my suprise no one has one. They told me that the 94 x is listed by itself and that there is a special tool for that year only. Is this true? and if it is where can i get the tool?Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you talking about the socket with the four prongs? I've used the same one of those with my 94 explorer as well as my dads 92 F-150 and many others, its the standard ford size.

I dont know to much about the nut itself but i do know it is a 4 prong. Is it possible it is not a factory nut. The guy that was doin it for me said the regular socket wouldnt fit. He also told me that he needs 2 wrenches, not just 1. Is he nuts or is this true. I always thought that the regular 1 would work but he says it wont fit. how long does this take to do? The dealer wanted to charge me for 5 hours at $70/hr. I will do it myslef before i pay that!

Lock Nut Socket

For auto locking hubs, you will need a 2 3/8" socket.
OTC # 1936, I think Lisle also makes one. Phone around to the local auto parts suppliers. One of them should be able to find it.

PEP BOYS! That is where I bought my first one with 4 prongs for the xplor. It was like $12. Yesterday I bought another one there, this time a 6 prong for working on 1 ton axles that I will be using for my project. Pep boys had a whole bunch of these hub sockets. Just go look and they should have them in the tool section.

Back