Where can I get a high flow fuel pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I get a high flow fuel pump?

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Okay okay... after all my dyno tests and talking with a mechanic... the consensus seems to be that I have somewhat low fuel pressure. They said its most likely my fuel pump... so... I was thinking I would shop around for a high flow one... I figure it will come in handy when I get my superchager too... anyways... my question is.... Where do I get one? What is a good brand? How much is considered high flow? how much flow does the stock unit pump? Where is it located? Can I do it myself? And the most important... how much is it?

Also, what do you guys think? Would I lose gas milage? Im thinking I really shouldnt... thats what my fuel pressure regulator is for right? (by the way... with the FPR goes out... you get really high pressure correct?)

One more question! On the dyno, the guy said I was running a little rich... but I got more HP when he incresed the pressure... explain?

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see you guys dont care about my fuel pump problem. I see how it is.

heres a shot nick.

The stock pump in the 91's runs at 15.9 GPH( 60 liters) at 45 psi.

Dont know if a replacement Hi flow is avail.for the 4.0, but something from the mustang crowd may work, BBK has a few replacements, the smallest having twicw as much volume as our stock. The stock 5.0 mustangs are in the 85 lph range I think, one of these may work- just dont know until someone does it. I dont know if anyone has tried it.

From all that I have read and dug up the stock system fuel system (injectors, pump) should be adequate to 230-240hp.

The pump is located in the gas tank, the tank has to be removed to replace it.

What was your fuel pressure on your dyno test? Also how did the mechanic raise it to determine you needed more? Could also be the FPR causing the low pressure.

Hope that helps some- let us know what you find out about the pumps

Nick, we care, it's just I don't know the answer and when I do answer somethng I like to at least be somewhat knowledgable and not have to 'duck & cover' afterwards.Dead Link Removed

Ask somethng aboout Bernolli's equation or the Rankin cyle..I can help there..Dead Link Removed

I frequently search carparts.com and see that they "supposedly" have applications/parts for our truck; however, are these parts specifically for our truck. I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered a part other than exhaust, intake from carparts and whether or not the part actually fit without modification. I don't see why an electrical pump of relatively same size wouldn't fit into our truck, but we would have to make a few mods to fit the sucker in. Has anyone also changed a fuel pump in general - stupid question, but whats involved and does the pump stay on the top of the tank?

Ive bought bunch of specific parts from carparts (waterpump, seals, plugs, gaskets, engine parts) from them and have had no problems, but I knew the part #s to cross reference their listings.

Fuel pump is in the tank, never replaced one so dont

Yeah! Thanks for all the replies. I feel loved now. Wow... 85lph seems high. My first instinct was the FPR, but my mechanic told me he has seen very few cases in which it was the FPR that was causing LOW pressure, and that it was most likely my fuel pump. Hmmm... I dont know what to do now... as for increasing the pressure... he just pinched the line. Sooo... what do you guys think? If I remember right ford want 150 bucks for a new FPR... what about these aftermarket adjustable ones I see? Suggestions? Hmmm..

nick

I just looked on carparts at the fuel pumps... those little buggers are expensive!!!

nick

Back