How do I remove the stock air filter box and replace it with a high-flow cone filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove the stock air filter box and replace it with a high-flow cone filter?

mikesmithis007

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I've looked on here as well as google this quite a few times, and can't seem to figure out what exactly I need (as far as adaptors, etc.) and what exactly I should do to remove my stock air box and put a cone filter on it?

All advice is appreciated, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can also buy a 3" MAF adapter that will bolt any 3" cone filter to the MAF sensor, you can buy them cheap enough & then buy a good cone filter, then use your stock intake tube.

The kkm kit is awesome, and it was made to fit so it worked great. i looked around for others and not only are most MAF adapters china made but the stock airbox has a support plate. The minute u put a MAF and high flow air filter it will sag down and bounce around causing a very poor set up. The KKM kit includes a support bracket to support the entire set up. If u dont go KKM make sure u fabricate something to support the MAF

The kkm kit is awesome, and it was made to fit so it worked great. i looked around for others and not only are most MAF adapters china made but the stock airbox has a support plate. The minute u put a MAF and high flow air filter it will sag down and bounce around causing a very poor set up. The KKM kit includes a support bracket to support the entire set up. If u dont go KKM make sure u fabricate something to support the MAF

So? it's a static piece of aluminum. Doesn't need to be all pretty to work for what it needs to be.
No it doesn't. The filer is just as stable as the KKM as it sits down in that area. Mine doesn't move.
I had the KKM before.

My filter sagged alot with the weight of the MAF, and intake tube. just speaking from experience, And i recommend the KKM because its made from a memeber on here and a quality made piece from a ford enthusiast, and not some china crap.

if u sit the filter in the bottom half of the box it will rest but when i did mine i thought it may restrict some air flow or something so i took it all out and supported the MAF

Back