Where do I fit in? 1985 Explorer Ranger with a 2.8L Cologne. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where do I fit in? 1985 Explorer Ranger with a 2.8L Cologne.

UofMfanJJ

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1985 Explorer Ranger XL
I don’t see any explorer Rangers of my era / vintage. I have what I believe to be a tier 3 paint job it’s rusty but I plan to bring it back.
I got it from a kid for $400 who couldn’t sort it out. I have it figured out.
Please let me know who to look for when I do have questions.
Thank you for your time have a great evening

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E0C74061-04F2-46FC-93AB-6A42344C4E7E.jpeg

3BF60DCF-7698-4FF7-83F9-1D0FB97EA53B.jpeg

3CCB3E9B-EB16-4CE2-AAD0-B800E032DE5D.jpeg

90048BCF-E78A-4602-8EBF-593189C9A928.jpeg

CFDA3448-A531-4A8E-BF12-3F4A6D2CE150.jpeg

464958DC-16F1-4875-ACF8-B66A1EA3ADC4.jpeg

51EF00A1-AB24-435B-9DFE-741A7A7F0692.png

875FCECC-46FF-45B5-9682-25DAB60308C5.png

40281FDE-0C8B-4C1D-A54D-28BEDBB0DAF8.png

A carburetor. Wow!!!

It is a classic.

think you want therangerstation. The use of "explorer" would be a trim level like for the f series. Like Lariat, and like Ranger used to be. I've seen very little regarding the
"ranger explorer". Can you take a pic of the door tag/sticker or give the vin? l'd like to know where yours was manufactured.

The computer feedback carb is a pain in the ass. You will hate life trying to get it to work, some of the parts are no longer available.

The computer feedback carb is a pain in the ass. You will hate life trying to get it to work, some of the parts are no longer available.
I have a 1984 Bronco II that had the 2.8 with feedback carb. I swapped in a distributer and carb for a 1978 Mustang II 2.8 and did the Duraspark Ignition conversion.

I like the Headliner! :)

Kudos on getting this vintage truck! Something I'd like - if I could drive stick!
Immersion is a good way to learn how to drive a manual.

First manual I drove was an MG Midget. Dad said move it to the other lot, so I got in it, remembered watching dad drive other manuals and just did what I saw him do.

First manual I drove was an MG Midget. Dad said move it to the other lot, so I got in it, remembered watching dad drive other manuals and just did what I saw him do.
First stick I learned to drive was a Ford 3000 tractor. I had the basics of gear changing from our model T when I was little. You basically shift with your feet on those. I applied the skill of listening to the engine to the tractor. It didn't take long before unsynchronized shifts from 3 to 4 were nearly seamless!

I like the old square body Rangers. It reminds me of the 87 my cousin and I built in highschool his was fuel injected. A guy at the next farm over from his had the only diesel ranger I've ever seen. It looked a lot like yours. I'd love to know what happened to that one.

First stick I learned to drive was a Ford 3000 tractor. I had the basics of gear changing from our model T when I was little. You basically shift with your feet on those. I applied the skill of listening to the engine to the tractor. It didn't take long before unsynchronized shifts from 3 to 4 were nearly seamless!

I like the old square body Rangers. It reminds me of the 87 my cousin and I built in highschool his was fuel injected. A guy at the next farm over from his had the only diesel ranger I've ever seen. It looked a lot like yours. I'd love to know what happened to that one.
First stick was an 04 ranger 2.3 Duratec 5 speed. Just smashed the windshield out of a 91 that’s been rigged to hell. It’s going to the scrap yard soon with a really clean frame.

but my first real manual is my 1986 Mercury Cougar XR7, it just got repaired from damage I don’t feel like talking about. The truck will hopefully be in operation by the end of the week just got a fuel pump.

EECFF01E-3BFC-462B-911B-D12D856B5159.jpeg

8F08E1E7-2F70-49F4-AF43-B67F421BFA88.jpeg

Thinking about maybe using that 3.8L mustang computer and TBI (CFI) system to fuel inject until I can afford a 4 BBL FiTech

Thinking about maybe using that 3.8L mustang computer and TBI (CFI) system to fuel inject until I can afford a 4 BBL FiTech
I had an 84 Lincoln Mark 7 that is similar to your cougar. It was a 5.0 TBI, I hated that fuel system but the car would run though. It was fun to blow the doors off Civics in a rather unassuming car.

I had an 84 Lincoln Mark 7 that is similar to your cougar. It was a 5.0 TBI, I hated that fuel system but the car would run though. It was fun to blow the doors off Civics in a rather unassuming car.
I also had an 85 Cougar LS (4.9 EFI) TBI (CFI) and honestly miss that car. That cougar was entirely different than the cougar in that picture, it’s a Turbocoupe cousin the 1986 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 2.3 Turbo.

Back