Where do I place a 3 ton floor jack? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where do I place a 3 ton floor jack?

aqs789

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 4x4 SOHC
I wanted to change my brake pads but I don't know where to place the cup of my 3 ton floor jack. My repair manual says not to place the jack on the rear differential. So where do I put it? I'm also not sure where to put it in the front too. There is a place to put the factory jack which came with my x, but it doesn't look big enough to support the cup on the 3 ton floor jack. Please assist :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I lift mine atleast once a week on the rear and front end. my repair manual says not to drill, cut, or modify like ten things that I have done, some times you have to use common sense instead of reading all the safety stuff.:confused: :confused:

I usually put mine in the center of the u-bolt plate to lift the rear of mine. Then I put jackstands under the axle as close to the u-bolt plates as I can. On the front, you can use the edge of the a-arm to jack up the vehicle. I usually then put a jackstand right under the other edge of the a-arm, or two jackstands under the main frame crossmember (one on each side so the vehicle is stable).

ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS OR OTHER SUITABLE SUPPORTS WHEN WORKING UNDER A VEHICLE. Do not rely on the jack for support.

On the floor... duh! :)
Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Finding a place to lift the Explorer can be a bi-atch sometimes, especially the front. I use the same lift points as Jeff metioned though, and haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the quick advice:D

In the front i just lift in the center on that big cross member that goes right in front of the front axle..then place a jackstand on each of the tabs in front where the stock jack is supposed to go. then in the rear I try to jack the axle itself, but if i can't get to it i jack under the black plate where the shock connects to. good luck!

In the garage

But seriously do like JDraper says and use those jack stands. If also like to lave the jack under where I lifted the vehicle if it is not in the way. This way I dont have reposition the jack.
One last thing
NEVER USE CINDER BLOCKS!!!

Back