Where to find a body lift for a 1998 2wd? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to find a body lift for a 1998 2wd?

Paco

Reaction score
Where can i find a body lift for a 1998 2wd? I called a guy at a suspension shop and he said that they didn't make it for one yet. I was just wondering if there is any company i can get it from. Also, he said it would be around 425 dollars to do. To me that sounds reasonable. But is it to you guys too?

thanks
travis clark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He is correct about there not being a body lift for your truck. The only option you have now is to use a lift from the 91-94 explorers and do some modifications to it. There are many on this board that can help you in this. Do a search for body lifts and go from there. The price sounds okay is that for just the install?

Yes, that was just for the install. If they were to modify one from a 1991-1994, i take it they would charge a bit more. Is this a possible thing to do? If so, would it still hold up?

thanks,
travis clark

You could use the older model kit and jerry-rig it. I think, but im not sure, you can use a 98 Ranger body lift.

get the ranger kit and get the rear bumper brakets for the 91-94 they are the same.

Jeffseal can you explain that last one for me? I am supposed to buy a 1998 ranger body lift and the rear bumper brackets from a 1991-1994 body lift kit?

I also have another question regarding my truck. Is it possible to get some another leaf spring in the rear instead of getting warrior shackles? I have a 1998 sport 2wd.

thanks,
paco

ill answer both yes you can get an entire new leaf pack, old man emu makes a 2 inch lift spring back for new explorers. i am assuming that your rear leaf springs consist of just one leaf. if it is a leaf pack like teh 4 door has you can use a add-a-leaf. the new leaf packs are pretty expensive compared to shackles i think 400???? but i dont know. as for the body lift you need to get the ranger kit cause it has the same radiator brackets and steering stuff but if you stick with the 2 inch kit that wont matter. I have not dont the lift yet but from what i hear the front bumper brackets from the ranger work on our explorers i think you just have to drill the holes a little bigger. the rear brackets for the 91-94 should be the same as the 95+ but they only make them for the 3 inch lift as with the front brackets. so you will still need to modify them. the easiest thing to do is to just cut of the bumpers and weld them up 2 inches higher. it is alot stonger too. i think i am going to have a fourby shop do that part.

Can you or anyone explain that one more time for me? The way i see it is that i will need to buy a 1998 ranger 3 inch kit. Everything SHOULD go smoothly until i get to the rear bumpers. And once i get to the rear bumpers i can have them weld them on or i can buy the rear brackets from a 1991-1994 lift. And that should be my 3 inch lift? How much would we be looking at then assuming the install goes easily? Also, can anyone tell me Sijin? I think? His website that talks about how he did the body lift install for his 1997.

thanks a whole bunch
travis

Im sorry i forgot to add something. The springs from Old Man Emu i hear have a better ride quality and they are 200 each. This is fine. Here is what i think and tell me if i am wrong or stupid or i dont know what im talking about. The OME springs go in the rear and give around 2 inches of lift. I would do the torsion bar twist for the front. This theoretically would give me 1.5 in the front and 2 inches of lift in the back. Correct so far? Now, how much is it to get someone to do the torsion bar twist and to install the springs? I also would like to do a the three inch body lift that was just mentioned. After those two lifts, i would probably like to do the trailmaster 4 inch suspension lift. (If it is true that they have the lift kits available for my model explorer (2wd)). What kind of shocks would i need? They would have to be longer right? After i do all the lifts, hopefully 8.5 in the front and 9 in the back, i will put 33/12.5/15 inch tires. Does all of this sound half sane? I will put a locker on the rear ford 8.8 and hopefully i will be able to do moderate trails without rocks and mud and steep climbs.

thanks a whole lot,
travis (paco)

if you are going to do the 4 inch suspenstion lift dont do the torsion bars 1. the rear old man emu leafs would be a wast since the trailmeaster kit comes with new leafs and 2. you are not supose to crank the torsion bars up with the lift. you can clear 33's with the torsion bars and body lift. with a 3 inch body lift you might have trouble wiht the steering i know others have. might want to think about the 2 inch body instead.

I have a very quick question, i hear that the two inch body lift kit is easier to put on? Could someone please tell me which body lift kit i would need? Would it be the one for the 1998 ranger 2wd? Also, does anyone know of the 2wd trailmaster kit for 98-00? Anyone know if it even exists?

thanks
travis

What is trailmaster's interne address?

Can someone help me please?

Back