where to get floor mats with a lip on them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where to get floor mats with a lip on them?

srvblues00

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport / 88 Turbo Stang
where can i get front floor mats that have a raised lip on them? I've seen them with something like a 1" or 2" wall around the edges to contain dirt.. i saw them on a website for sale, but they were $75. :( that's way more than i have to fork out for a set of floor mats! i don't need anything really nice, just something that works. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a set from wal-mart that don't have the huge lip like you're talking about, but the color matches my tan interior perfect, they fit very well, and they hold alot of liquid. They are a universal mat with a raised ridges throughout the mat, and around the outside, probably 3/8" deep. The best part of all though is that they were only $8.

Originally posted by Byrd91
I have a set from wal-mart that don't have the huge lip like you're talking about, but the color matches my tan interior perfect, they fit very well, and they hold alot of liquid. They are a universal mat with a raised ridges throughout the mat, and around the outside, probably 3/8" deep. The best part of all though is that they were only $8.

Yeah, I've see those.. I may end up going that route in the end, i dunno yet. those wouldn't be too bad.

ya

The ones you're talking about with the "lip" are called Husky Liners. (www.huskyliners.com) I got the front and rear set of these ($30-50)when I worked at a truck accessory shop and I probably won't use any other floor mats again. They hold a TON of liquid- perfect for those of us constantly getting water, mud, snow, ice, etc. into the truck! They are also available in black, grey, tan and even blue to match the factory interior.

The only thing you might wanna do if you get these is cut the plastic around the gas pedal- since it keeps the pedal from going down all the way, but dont cut it to close- you can create a safety hazard by making a lip for the pedal to hang to when you let off the gas..lemme tell ya..before I figued out why the pedal was stuck it sure was a ride.

WeatherTech makes those soft rubber mats, and the ones you can get at wal-mart for $10-20 are pretty good for what they do, but the Husky Liners are floor LINERS..not just mats. It depends what you want to do- I think the liners are a good investment if you are constantly in the mud and snow. I feel they have definitely been worth what I paid.

If you just want a quick and cheap solution for winter driving or a mat for when you go wheeling, you might be ok with the cheapo truck mats.

Anime, thanks, lots of good info!! My truck is only a 2wd, so I'm not really gonna be doing any offroading. however, I do a decent amount of mountain biking, and many times i return to the truck to find myself covered in mud. I was wanting the liners so that I could just dump the mud out when it dried. thanks, I'll check into the website you gave me.

sure

Well, I think for mountain biking either would be ok.

Just more info for your decision- the Husky liners are sort of hard plastic. When mud or whatever dries on it, you can do exactly what you want- pull it out and just hose it off. I rigged mine so the corner can just be pulled down some with the door open, and any liquid just drains out.

You can even mod them with a rubber tube so the mat drains right out the door as soon as you open it! There was a manufacturer who sold imitation mats with the tube installed, but I'm not sure if they ever sold well enough to stay in business.

Also, as you will see from the site, the liners are molded to fit the floor of the vehicle, so you will need to order the specific model number if you decide to get them. Being that these are designed to completely replace the floor mats, (not go over them) they are more of a "leave-in" item- it's sort of a small hassle to take out your floor mats and put in the liners and vice versa if you just want to use them for the times you go biking. They don't fit well if you leave the floor mat in.

Like I said before- if you just want to do light duty stuff, cheapo mats are good for the price and you can just put them over your regular mats when you go mountain biking or whatever. Take them out when you're done and clean 'em up. I used to use old Ranger mats before I got the Husky liners- they worked, just the liners work better for me.

A good tip for the biking- pick up some of those thin plastic seat covers at the dealer or a detail shop. Big garbage bags work too. You can put a regular plastic grocery bag over the armrest. If you're really dirty all over from riding (or anything really) you can slip these on in no time and keep the upholstery looking good. :)

I really appreciate the info, Anime! I hate to spend that much on the Husky liners, but they are really sweet. I was thinking more along the lines of just leaving them in all the time. I could get by with the cheap mats from WalMart, but I love the way the Huskies look! I may eventually get them, I'm not sure yet. Good point on the seat cover ideas.. I hadn't thought about most of those ideas. Thanks!

Check around on websites and see what the cheapest price is on these. You might also call around locally and see if any 4x4/truck accessory shops are having Christmas sales. If nothing else, you could put these on your Christmas list. :D

Explorerforum.com members also get a 10% discount at 4WheelParts in Memphis..they should stock these and will ship to you I believe.

Back