Where To Get Rear Wheel Bearing Replaced at a Decent Price? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where To Get Rear Wheel Bearing Replaced at a Decent Price?

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Anyone know what a rear wheel bearing replacement should cost and who is the cheapest.

Only want SKF or Motorcraft. I was thinking of checking a Ford dealer first since I've heard other places don't know how to to them properly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought Timken bearings from Rock Auto then took those and my removed hubs to a local shop who pressed out my old and pressed in my new bearings. Then I reinstalled on Explorer in my garage. They charged me $100 flat and he confessed only took his guy about 30 mins total but I was glad to pay them. I just remembered I also had to supply new retainer clips too which I think I got at AdvanceAuto

I don't have another vehicle right now to be able to take a removed hub assembly to a shop for the swap.

If I do it myself I'd have to go with the MOOG LK002 complete assembly for $228.39 shipped.

71T7lzknmSL._SL1000_.jpg

81iwsOgOAML._SL1000_.jpg

In order to replace the bearings in the knuckle, you need a large press. I have done these with a 12 ton HarborFreight press and it was barely able to do the job. A 20 Ton press is really needed. HarborFreight lists it at $185. If you want a press, this makes a great excuse to spend the money on one. However, if you don't have a press, then going with the Moog complete assembly is a reasonable way to do it your self. Here in Maryland, The last quote ( 2015 ) I got for a rear wheel bearing on my old 2003 Explorer was just over $400 per side. That was why I did them myself.

With shops wanting over $400 to replace the bearing and they all refuse to let me supply my own SKF bearing I have ordered the complete Moog hub assembly which comes with a National bearing stamped Korea which I've noticed the Motorcraft *** bearing is also Korea so hopefully it is just as good...

Yes those notorious parking brakes! After struggling with these I found it considerably easier to assemble the shoes with the upper spring attached. I would then pull them into place instead of attaching the shoes and then trying to install the spring. You would think that the Ford engineers could come up with a better design. I use to have a Japanese car that had the parking brake assembly just push against the rear of the caliper cylinders thus eliminating the need for extra shoes.

I ended up going to a pick a part and purchased a used one. Borrowed a wheel nut socket from Autozone and did the work myself. Be sure that you do go this route, check the mfg date from the rig that you are pulling it from. A change with the tie rod size was made in March of 02. Older ones wont work.
Pretty easy job to do. Good Luck.

Back