Which A/S or A/T tires should I buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which A/S or A/T tires should I buy?

Which of the following will work best for me? Read inital post.

• Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (currently have)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Michelin LTX A/T

• Pirelli Scorpion A/T

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Michelin LTX M/S

• Pirelli Scorpion S/T

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
After running off a dirt road the other day, I have put my mud tires (BFG Radial Mud Terrain T/A) back on the rear (since I have just two) until about March or so since I don't plan on doing much traveling until then. I the mean time, I need to find new tires for the Mountaineer soon. I currently have Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's, which were good for about 42k miles until I spun the balding right-rear tire which really forced me to go "off-road."

I've narrowed my choices to the following: Goodyear Wrangler AT/S, Michelin LTX A/T, Pirelli Scorpion A/T, Michelin LTX M/S, and the Pirelli Scorpion S/T.

Here's what I do: I do plenty of highway travel, I sometimes launch a boat from a makeshift (not-paved) boat ramp, I drive on dirt and gravel roads (unfortunately, especially when raining), I parking in muddy parking lots on campus (Mississippi State University), I drive to some hunting spots in remote locations, and when it actually does snow and ice in Mississippi, I will have to drive out to where friends and family get stuck to get them, sometimes pulling them out, and Mississippi isn't prepared for those conditions.

So, which of the above tires should I buy? I'm patiently waiting for a good price on 4 of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd get BFG AT KO's. They're great in all conditions, especially dirt roads and rainy highways. They wear extremely well, look good, and are also fairly inexpensive. They're more aggressive than other AT tires, but the only downside of that is they make a bit of noise at 10-20 mph, but nothing major. They have a lot of siping straight from the factory, so they handle "weather" great.

Sorry to "unnarrow" your choices, but that's my opinion.

If it was me I'd stay with the M/T's year round. You already have two, just buy two more. But that's just me.

Sounds like the Goodyears didn't really last that long for you, so I don't know why you're considering getting another set.

Michelin and Pirelli both make good tires for the street, I just don't think much of them offroad. My personal preference is the Bridgestone line, which have performed very well for me in the past. I've run 3 sets of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, 1 set of M/T's, and my wife's Jeep GC has the H/T's on it, and I have been completely satisfied with all of them. Great all around tires. I averaged about 70K miles on the A/T's, and my wife's H/T's have about 60K on them and still have usable tread left.

The BFG's are also an excellent choice.

I'd go with at least an A/T tire and forget about the M/S, they're too benign.

if you want pirelli get their desert dogs....

i would get the bfg all terrain ta ko tires... they are sweet.... i have been able to do the same mudding in gumbo that my friend with brand new bfg mud terrain ta kms in 33" did last week.....mine are only 31s... i love my A/Ts

Just mt two cents. I just go a set of Pro Comp a/t. I lve these tires. They come with a 50,000 warranty and they will throw mud like crazy. They ride nice and have very little noise.

Just my two cents. If you get them from 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and want a set of rims they can make a package for you. That includes mounting, balancing, weights, lugnuts and centercaps. If you want I can take a pic of the tires and rims I just got so you can see them.

Eric

Back