• Register Today It's free!

Which gears?

maroon93limited

Reaction score
City, State
Taber, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
So, I bought a small-ish trailer for the family and I to get out to the mountains in this year, but being near 3500 pounds, it's near the weight limit that my Limited is rated for with the 3.08's. I can't believe they would even put a towing package in something, and then throw useless gears like that in it. Anyway, I can get a set of 3.55's, 3.73's or the rarer 4.10's from a local wreckers. Which would you all recommend? The 4.10's would be fun, and mileage isn't really a concern as we don't use the purple beast all that often, but I'm thinking 3.73's might be a tad more practical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure you know this but if you have 4X4 you need to replace both the front and rear gearsets. That being said I would go with the 3.73, but be mindful that your speedo will be way off.

You have the A4LD that is known all too well for blowing the front seal, I would say at least 3.73's if not 4.10's and put an auxillary trans cooler on it. As for fixing the speedo, change out the speedo gear one that the axles came from and you "should" be close to your actual speed.

I'm sure you know this but if you have 4X4 you need to replace both the front and rear gearsets. That being said I would go with the 3.73, but be mindful that your speedo will be way off.

Oh for sure I'll change both, but thanks for the reminder!

You have the A4LD that is known all too well for blowing the front seal, I would say at least 3.73's if not 4.10's and put an auxillary trans cooler on it. As for fixing the speedo, change out the speedo gear one that the axles came from and you "should" be close to your actual speed.

Luckily with the factory towing package, she's already got the auxillary cooler and I had the trans flushed last year. Being that it's fairly low miles for a 93 (whatever 170,000km's works out to, I think it's 105,000 miles) hopefully nothing's too worn out for hauling.

410 especially for mountain and towing

Yup. Our local wreckers that I used to work at has a set.

I'm sure if you don't want it, someone else on the forum probably will. One other thing which ever ratio you decide to go with I would get the rear axle out of a 2nd gen explorer for the disc brakes, the swap isn't really all that complicated to do.

Back