Which Hub Bearing

rusto

Reaction score
City, State
Whistler, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey Guys,

This may be a silly question. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD model. I need a new front right hub bearing, I'm looking at this website as I'm in Canada.

http://www.canadapartsonline.com/se...94967165+4294963847+4294966684&Nr=universal:0

Do I need one with "w/ Vacuum Pulse Hub Locks
Product Notes: / Front" or can I just the vacuum hoses that are on the hub that is failing?

Also are any of these brands worth the premium? I'm leaning towards the TIMKIN one but if its no better than the replacement one that I'll just get whatever is cheapest.

Thanks for you help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure where you see this vacuum hub thing at, but our trucks do not even use vacuum for the 4 wheel drive system.

If your not picky about ordering it on the internet, canadain tire or autozone have them in stock usually. Otherwise you need the 4x4 specific hub assembly, included are abs wheel speed sensor and its accompanying harness. Here is an example.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Ford/Ex...ium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=NexTagNew

As for the name brands, a truck as old as these, pretty much any name brand is a step up from the stock part, I wouldn't think the extra price is worth it but others may say differently.

Timken is the best quality. It is cheaper on the rock auto site, 106.00 I think.

If your not picky about ordering it on the internet, canadain tire or autozone have them in stock usually. Otherwise you need the 4x4 specific hub assembly, included are abs wheel speed sensor and its accompanying harness. Here is an example.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Ford/Ex...ium=comparisonshopping&utm_campaign=NexTagNew

As for the name brands, a truck as old as these, pretty much any name brand is a step up from the stock part, I wouldn't think the extra price is worth it but others may say differently.

Ford OEM is TIMKEM. Can't do any better than that.

flame- I would do a little more searching around before telling someone that the brand doesn't matter, because for the front hubs- they do... Just one of those parts that if you drive your truck every day, you need to have the right ones. Dan is correct- get the Timkens and be done with it... The Chinese knock-offs don't last. And by don't last, in most cases, we're not talking years- we're talking months... maybe.

Joe's right. The cheapies can go quickly. You're better off with the Timkins.

The Chinese knock-offs don't last. And by don't last, in most cases, we're not talking years- we're talking months... maybe.

Exactly! Been there done that unfortunately.

Back