• Register Today It's free!

Hub Bearing question

konaboy

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I've done some searching but haven't found the answer to my question. I've got what I believe is a front hub bearing going bad. You can hear it "growling" at lower speeds. My question is I just started hearing a metallic "whine/squeal " the other day when I let my foot off the brake and started coasting. Sounds like driver side. Brakes are new, pads rotors and calipers, so I've checked those, only does'nt on rotation of the wheel. Will the hub start whining like a wheel bearing when it's shot?

thanks,
sticks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like it is the bearing, although you have to be sure its coming from the front end and not the driveshafts. A bad ujoint will cause a squeak and whine when costing at lower speeds.

it does sound very much like a wheel bearing. i just replaced my drivers side, and it had very similar sounds coming from it. almost like a scratching sound (at first, i thought it was the wear indicators for the brake pads). i am actually about to do my passenger side this week. if you need any help let me know. todd.

Thanks guys,

At first I thought brakes and tires a few months ago. Glad I looked at the brakes the front passenger caliper was totally frozen and tires were starting to cup. After doing all that I still heard the sound which was leading me to the hubs but there was no real play in the wheel and trying to find the side it was coming from just from the noise was next to impossible. Then is started the whining the other night. It's been intermitent. Did it yesterday when I first got in, then nothing, and today nothing.

Toddiuos, I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions. How long did it take you? I read the write up in the useful thread column and it seem the hardest thing to do is get the rusted bolts loose. BTW anyone seen a torque wrench that goes to that whopping 250 ft/lbs measurement or do you just crank the spindle nut back on with the big bar you used to get it off?

Sticks

it took me a lot longer than it should have when i did it last time, probably close to 5 hours. most of that time was definately due to rusty bolts, so spray with PB blaster early and often. it is actually a very simple project, just a few things to keep in mind: make sure that you tie the calipers up, and don't let them hang while doing the work. also be very careful with the ABS sensor. For the hub nut, i used a very long breaker bar. it was actually just a piece of 2" steel pipe, about 4 feet in length. made loosening the nut very easy, as well as tightening. When i go to do the passenger side this week, i expect it to take less than 3 hours. let me know if you have any questions. todd.

After you spray the bolts with PB Blaster wait about 10 minutes and then hit the bolts, right on the top of the head with a BFH. This will loosen up the rust on them. I had to use the end of a extention to put on he bolt head and smack the extention with the hammer, which in turn transfers the blow to he bolt head. Do this acouple of times, and it will make the bolts come out easier. The shock from the blows will break the rust loose.

Back