Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NYS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (AWD V8)
1623717436427.png

1623717483181.png

Should the access cover be there or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My car is like the bottom picture. When on long trips, the a/c is actually too cold, so I add a little heat.

That's ok with me, but when the a/c is turned off, heavy condensation forms on the inside right of the instrument panel.

That can't be good or correct.

I suspect the HVAC is always in max a/c mode, even when it's not selected.

Should the cover be there or not?

PS -- these are not my pics, but others found on EF.

My car is like the bottom picture. When on long trips, the a/c is actually too cold, so I add a little heat.

That's ok with me, but when the a/c is turned off, heavy condensation forms on the inside right of the instrument panel.

That can't be good or correct.

I suspect the HVAC is always in max a/c mode, even when it's not selected.

Should the cover be there or not?

PS -- these are not my pics, but others found on EF.
The AC runs in a 2nd Gen in all positions but floor only. The 3rd Gen is likely similar. This keeps the compressor for sitting idle for months at a time while only heat is used.

Thanks for your response. What I'm trying to determine is whether the access cover should be there or not.

I searched old threads, and most people say it should not be there, but it's there on my 2004, which was bought new.

Was it not punched out at the factory?

My vehicle has the cover on it -- it's right there at the place for allowing outside air to the inside of the vehicle. My understanding is the cover should be on to keep rain and dirt out -- and as an access place to clean the area to prevent debris from getting inside.
As far as the condensation, are you sure your outside air flap is working properly. Mine quit working properly early on. I've since jammed it closed with household wiring. But I don't live in a high moisture area anyway.

Thanks fordysenior. My fresh air/recirculating door fell off ages ago, so I simply removed it.
It was sitting on the fan and stopping airflow. Could that be my problem?

If you removed it, then you have a constant flow of outside air coming inside -- humidity and all. I preferred to close the door to keep out diesel, skunk, and other odors outside the vehicle. And if I need fresh air, I can always roll down a window or open the sunroof. Some people have screwed the door shut. I tried to fix it properly, but at my age, I'm not as 'bendy' as I used to be.

Wow, so it's the exact opposite of what I thought.
I should have known, though, because I always smelled outside smells.
It's difficult to replace the fresh air door, so maybe I'll just keep as is. Thanks!

Back