Which shiftable transfer case do I need for my 1997 E-4WD Aerostar beach buggy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which shiftable transfer case do I need for my 1997 E-4WD Aerostar beach buggy?

DoOver

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill Mountains Of New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Loaded Long Wagon E4WD
I need to get serious about my beach buggy project. My aerostar will be like a 4X4 camper so I can surf fish at Cape Cod and Rhode Island beaches. I have found a clean 1997 AWD Aerostar. I am going to remove both front and rear bumpers and make new ones out of aluminum diamond plate. I want to incorporate storage and front and rear trailer hitches as well as rod and cooler holders in the bumpers.
My question is I want to replace the electric clutched transfer case with a shiftable transfer case. I want low gear for some sand situations. I think I want a manual shifted one. My question is what vehicle would have a compatible transfer case?
I'm thinking the front pumpkin will be strong enough.
I will replace all 4 springs and install air bags at all 4 sides and air shocks in the rear like I've done on my 95.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a great project! I think either you or another member once bought the wrong rear cargo coils or front coils when they were swapping springs (was this you)? This vehicle comes with a 4.0L so you have an option to swap the transfer case from an Explorer. Most of the time, other members are swapping parts off of an Aerostar for their Explorer, but you could swap the parts off of an Explorer. It sounds like a great opportunity to get a digital camera to show off this project. Will you keep both Aerostars?

Hey Brooklyn,
I wanted to buy rear cargo coils and a fellow here had a pair but they where for a 2 wheel drive, to short.
There is a ton of Explorers around here being junked. They rust out before they wear out. That's what I need to know, will a 1997 Explorer transfer case fit my tranny?
Yes, I will document this project.
Yes, on keeping both Aerostars, up here you need a summer and winter car. Plus this thing is awesome in snow. I've always owned trucks that needed the hubs locked in to go. I never though I would love an automatic system. Great for the wife to.
I wonder if the electric transfer case is strong enough to run on the beach? It might be worth trying and have an other transfer case for back up.
Brian

This sounds pretty cool, never really thought bout a swap like that. Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Back