• Register Today It's free!

Which would you choose? SAS

explorer94

Reaction score
City, State
south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
For everyone that has done a SAS did you go with coils or the leafs? cause i have a chance to grab a whole front sub frame from a 85 wagoneer which has the leafs up front and has the dana 44 with 3.73 and can grab a ford 9" both for around $200

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leaves are springs ;)

Just go with what you can get -- easiest way to go. That combo you mentioned sounds good.

For the Wagoneers, it depends. In general, the 7-leaves per pack is more sought after than the other pack (which came with 5 leaves per pack). But even if you get the 5-leaves pack, they'll still work. But as for leaf springs in general, I think they flex plenty for most off-road use so go with what you can get. Plus going with leaves means less work since you wont have to weld on some coils spring seats/brackets onto the axle -- assuming the chassis width is close enough (so you wont have to move the spring perches in/out)

Dont focus too much on flex because traction (locker, tires, etc..) and torque (gearing, etc..) are just as important, or if not more important -- you can't get anywhere w/o traction or the right amount of torque (otherwise you'll burn out the transmission revving too high and the vehicle becomes uncontrollable because it has to be constantly "bumped" over obstacles as opposed to just crawling over them).

alright the one ill be grabing has the 7 leaf pack. originally was going to grab both axles off it but came to find out that it had a dana 20 in the rear. Plus like you said be a little easyer in a way to do a SAS on the x which is what im hoping

leaves are for trees.

Just kidding, I've seen some great setups on leaf springs. I just have seen too many solid axled explorers, Nissans, toyotas and even Jeep YJs that have this big shackle hanging down in the front that has to kill approach angle.

Back