whining noise

jimbo51

Reaction score
City, State
ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 xlt
Hello all,
I'm new to this site and have a question. My 2003 Explorer XLT is making a high-pitched whining sound at certain RPM's. While driving, the whining sound will change pitch and when it shifts into a higher gear, it drops off and goes away. I have changed the idler pulley thinking that was the problem, with no luck.
Anybody have any experience with a high-pitched whining noise coming from the motor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have they same thing happening with my 05. I did some mods the the air intake, and I thought it was that, haven't really checked into it though!

My 02 has no mods, bone stock 4.0. There is only 50,000 miles on it. This noise just started out of the blue.I tow a heavy boat every weekend weather permiting with no problems. I thought it was the idler pulley because I could see it whobbling a little at an idle. Changed it and still have a noise. I have a 92 mustang with a supercharger. The noise sounds a lot like the mustang when I get on it, high pitched and then drops off to nothing. When I have taken it to my dealer it won't make any noise. It runs fine except for this noise.
Jimbo51

Jimbo
Sounds like the infamous rear diff failure:mad: search under "rear differential" and you will find posts on the expensive repair. Our friends at ford have a TSB (WE KNOW WE FU%@%^-UP).
You better have a aftermarket tranny cooler on your explorer and change the fluid every 15K or the next problem is going to be REAL EXPENSIVE!

If you go into Tech Corner part of this forum - you'll find a "list of TSBs for the Ford Explorer" and theres the TSB in there for your issue.

-Drew

Jimbo
Sounds like the infamous rear diff failure:mad: search under "rear differential" You better have a aftermarket tranny cooler on your explorer and change the fluid every 15K or the next problem is going to be REAL EXPENSIVE!

I have this whine (I think - most people seem to have it a lot worse than I do... mine's not that loud and comes on at 50mph and disappears at 62-3mph). Sounds like normal truck tranny noise to me, but there's a lot of discussion about it. Do we know if this is dangerous to the vehicle. A lot of people have said that they're ignoring it and leaving well enough alone without having it addressed. Is my tranny going to fall out of the bottom of my explorer because of this? Anyone know how the truck progresses with this issue. Will an extended BaseCARE warranty drivetrain cover this if brought to the dealer's attention? Thanks.

Back