• Register Today It's free!

White smoke and Water!... HELP..!

FoxxRocket

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT 4.0LV6 PushRod 4X4
Guys,, My girlfriend was driving my 92 XLT 4X4 last night when she said all of a sudden it just lost power and she said she couldnt get over 55-60 on the highway!...
She said she drove it another couple of miles and noticed the Temp guage was going up so she pulled over where it died.......

She said she got out,, opened the hood and steam was comming from everywhere and there was no water in the radiator....

Well this morning I drove to where the truck set and found a pretty big split in the Heater Hose, so no biggy,,
but.... When I tried to start the truck ,, it didnt really want to start for about 10-15 cranks.... and then very roughly idles,, and TONS of WHITE SMOKE,, and alot of water are comming out the tail pipe!!!:mad:

..when throttle is applied,, man the smoke comes pouring out of the tailpipe!!!!!....

Guys,, thanks in advance,, I REALLY need to get this truck up and running.!...

Thanks guys...please help..

-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Sounds like either a blown head gasket, a warped head or a cracked head. Any way it's gonna be a PITA. Sorry to hear that happened :(

DAMN it.....

Guys,, any suggestions on how to check on any of this to kinda pinpoint a problem if possible?

-Chris

You can verify a blown head gasket/cracked head by doing a compression test, or better yet a cylinder leakdown test. This will tell you which cylinder(s) are a problem, but you won't know for sure which problem you have until you pull the head. I think blown head gasket is the most likely. White smoke is telling you that you are getting coolent into the cylinder(s). Check the radiator to see if you are getting oil in the coolent as well.

A long time ago, I had a Ford Courier (mazda ). When the head gasket went, I didn't know it until the next morning when I saw the truck surrounded by a lake of brown foam (a mixture of oil and coolent) which was pushed out of the radiator. I was still able to drive it 800 miles home by constantly adding water along the way.

Thanks guys,, i know i have to get it home,,, its like 10 miles away....
Anyone have a average price for a replacement of the head gasket/or a head replacement?

-Chris

I just got quoted 847.00 for just a blown head gasket, and a 200-300.00 add on if a head is bad....:eek: :(

This damn truck has cost me over 3000.00 dollars in the last 4 months!...and still adding on!

Jesus Freaking Christ!:rolleyes:

-CHris

Originally posted by FoxxRocket
I just got quoted 847.00 for just a blown head gasket, and a 200-300.00 add on if a head is bad....:eek: :(

This damn truck has cost me over 3000.00 dollars in the last 4 months!...and still adding on!

Jesus Freaking Christ!:rolleyes:

-CHris

Not trying to be a PITA, but this would have only cost a new radiator hose and some coolant if your g/f had stopped as soon as it acted up. Her continuing to drive it is what killed the motor. I wouldn't blame this one on the truck. Hoses do occasionally burst, especially if it was the original from '92.

I'm sorry but I agree. How many miles does the truck have and were those the original hoses?

Your absolutely right J... But !... I know for a fact that the truck was only driven a total max of 2 miles after it started getting hot....You wouldnt think that would blow a head gasket!...maybe bust a hose...or ruin a radiator cap...but blow a head gasket and possible warp heads!...

Does the quote given me sound about right?

-CHris

Well, sounds like the hose got a nasty leak in it. No coolant = very hot motor = lots of damage. At least the rest of the motor isn't shot.

Estimates for heads vary but that sounds in the ballpark. Maybe a bit steep.

Quote sounds about right. It's a good bit of labor to get the heads off the 4.0 because of all the crap on the motor. If you could do it yourself you can save beaucoup bux.

BTW, 2 miles will kill a motor without water, especially with aluminum heads. They are VERY sensitive to overheating.

Price is in the ball park. Most of this cost is labor. Why not do it yourself and save the bucks?

Good luck.....

Guys,, I just dont have all the tools to do the compression testing,,,and etc,, to make sure everything is fixed in the same shot.....and Im not real sure that if I KNEW it was only the head gasket I would want to attack that kinda job.. I always seem to mess more stuff up when fixing something major than it saves me money in the long run..

-thanks guys....

-CHris

A compression tester isn't real expensive; a good one should be less than $50.http://www.sears.com/sr/product/sum...dflh.0&vertical=TOOL&bidsite=&pid=00902171000

If you have the time to do the work yourself, it will be a good learning experience but if you need the truck to drive to work, etc then I would let a shop do it.

If the head got really hot, then the mating surface will be warped at the least. The head will need to be surfaced (or replaced if it can't be machined), then the pushrod length will need to be adjusted to compensate so the valves open the correct amount, etc. I'm not saying you can't do it yourself with the help of a machine shop, but if your heart isn't in it from the beginning, it could be a frustrating experience.

Ive done two engines which were both OHC 4 cyl which were fairly easy to do, but I had the time to do it carefully and everything came out ok.

Back