Who has a 2002 XLT?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has a 2002 XLT??

cfo20

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, IN--IU almost made it! Maybe next year.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2wd Sport
Hey all. I am probably going to buy a new 2002 XLT, but I am waiting until the end of the year so I can get a better deal and so I can save up a significant down payment. Anyway, I was wondering what problems (if any) or any major dislikes you have about your 2002 model explorers? Also, if you don't mind, how much did you pay? I am looking to spend around 26-27K max, and I don't know if that would be enough for an XLT 4x4? Let me know what you think-THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 XLT..

Hello cf020,

I have a 2002 XLT 4x4. I got it in January of 2002. Bought it off dealer lot. I don't know off hand where you are located, but I'm in NJ. My husband got me a deal of $200 over dealer cost, which for my model was $28,035. The only option I got was the combo CD/Cassette player. I have none of the other stuff, such as running boards, 3rd row seat, etc.. if you want a bare bones model, then the price your talking may be too low. I got the incentive of $2000 rebate and bank financing of 6.4%. I sold my 96 Sport for $5500 (which was paid off already) and put $5000 down along with the rebate, on the 2002. So my payments ended up $30 cheaper per month than my 1996 cost me.

Problems..well. There are a few so far. There is a thing that Ford calls "Phantom unlock", where when you exit the vehicle and press the power lock button, it thinks the keys are still in the ignition and it unlocks the doors on you. It will work fine with the remotes. A solution they hope to come out with around June. I just have to watch when I go to lock it.

Today I went down the road and the CD player cut out and then came back on. Then the ABS light came on, and the Battery light, then all the gauges stopped working and as I pulled it into a parking lot, it stalled and it would not restart. Had to use roadside assistance and have it towed to my dealer.....who found the problem to be with the battery not holding a charge...faulty, so that was replaced. Also the exhaust is loud...sounds like a leak, but is not. Ford is working on a solution for that as well.

Other than that, I love the truck. It rides like a car. And hopefully it will run fine when I take it to Virginia in June.

I hope that helps you. Green Flash

Thanks for the reply. I test drove a new 2002 XLS 2WD, which is almost like what I am looking for and it had a sticker of around $23,400, but the salesman said that the dealer owner wants to cut a deal and he would let it go for $19,900, which is a great deal, but it is the bare bones XLS and it is a 5 speed manual, something else that I don't care for. So, I figure that I may be able to pull off an XLT 4x4 around the end of the year for the price that I am looking for. Keep me posted on solutions to your existing problems.

Thanks

We have a V-6/auto Limited and love it. 7000 miles so far (bought it in August, I think) and so far no problems except for a broken seatbelt latch on delivery. The fuel economy, power and the ride have all improved considerably now that there are some miles on it.

--Sean

Hello cfo20

Hello, well it turns out so far, that replacing my battery wasn't the problem solver.. because after getting it back, it broke down the next day for the same thing and again I had it towed back to the dealer on friday. I just spoke with my service manager there and he said they just replaced the alternator and are test driving it now. Since I have to work this afternoon, I told him to keep it another day to check it out and make sure it is ok before I get it back. So hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow.:D

I miss it. I'm driving my husband's 96 Contour with 5 speed manual:( I'm used to my truck and being up high!

Green Flash:)

New 2002 XLS

Have owned my XLS for a year now (9500 miles). Really love the new look of the Explorer but it has had some problems. I have had to take it back to the dealer/service dept 9 times for the following problems: Rough shifting transmission (twice), vibrating/clunking steering column (twice, fixed the first time..replaced front wheel bearings and 3 different parts of the steering shaft, but problem is back and dealer will not fix it), rear glass gas struts kept popping out (3 times for this fix), drivers side window pod fell off (1 time), rear view mirror fell off (1 time). Paid $30,000.00 for it here in Hawaii. 5-speed auto, XLS sport group. This was before the September 11th attacks...when interest rates were still high and practically NO incentives available. Overall..I really like the Explorer, but I am beginning to think that Ford has some quality problems that they need to deal with.

7500 miles on ours and only one little quality problem so far. That is with a seatbelt buckle we replaced. Other than that no problems and we love it!

--Sean

I was at the dealership last weekend and saw a few XLT's with the sport package. It has painted bumper and fender flares and 17" rims and BFG tires. The rims are like the ones on the F-150's with the FX4 package. I wonder if those rims fit my truck...

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
I was at the dealership last weekend and saw a few XLT's with the sport package. It has painted bumper and fender flaires and 17" rims and BFG tires. The rims are like the ones on the F-150's with the FX4 package. I wonder if those rims fit my truck...

97+ F Series Trucks and X's DO NOT have interchangable wheels...

No no no no no... I mean the Explorer with the Sport Package has the F-150's FX4 look alike wheels. They are 17" rims with BFG tires. It looks good!!

I have a 2002 XLT with the V6, CD, running boards & tow package! I bought it in Feb. It has about 3000 miles on it.

Great Truck! No problems, so far. I'm hoping the mileage improves after a few more miles on it.

Highly recommend it!
:bounce:

No no no no no... I mean the Explorer with the Sport Package has the F-150's FX4 look alike wheels. They are 17" rims with BFG tires. It looks good!!

Does it come with the BFG AT's?

Whoops, sorry..

My pops just bought a 02 V8 Eddie Bauer. I got him a deal of 100 over cost b/c I work at the Dealership. $31,000 for it fully loaded. No problems yet, it has about 4,000 miles on it. The only thing that I noticed was that it idles pretty high when you first kick it over. I have his old 95 explorer and let me tell you its a whole different world! The 02 is wider inside ,and longer in length. It handles so much better too when in the turns! I love it and am thinking about purchasing one myself when I can get myself to part with it.

2002 EB

You got your father a great deal. I will be looking to get one this november or december. Where are you located and could you get me a deal close to that one? (just thought I would give it a shot.

Just purchased a 2002 XLT V6 4WD w/ the upgraded factory classIII/Iv tow pkg off the lot. Settled on the newer production model that included upgraded cloth bucket seats, leather steering wheel, autodim rearview and fog lights. Those changes do increase the base MSRP about $400 dollars over the earlier produced models. That said, Edmunds TMV is set to the newer base price so if you use that in pricing an older model adjust accordingly. Also, the tow pkg includes a limited slip differential at no additional charge so the upgrade is a steal at $395 IMO. I paid $26800. That price included a $1500 rebate and no trade. The one thing that bugged me (non-ford) was in my state, they tax the rebate! But as far as the ride, I just love it. Anyway, my .02. good luck, Jay

Just signed the papers on a new 2002 Limited V8 4x4, loaded to the max (38+ sticker
:eek:)

Sold my '97 Loaded XLT to a buddy, 'cause I fell in love with the 2002.

Hope it turns out to be as good as my '97, which was NEVER repaired, only maintained.

I was looking @ a 2003 explorer 4dr the other day and the one thing that i noticed that pissed me off even more about the 4wis is that its got (*^&$ struts! Its a TRUCK not a CAR! I dont know what i really expected but im just blown away that they put struts on a explorer. Car companies are just butchering small trucks and suvs. You cant find anything any more with a solid front axle or even twin traction beam.

I have about 14,000 on the 2002 Explorer XLT, 4x4 that I purchased a full year ago--late May 2001. It is an excellent car on the highway--smooth, stable, quiet--up to 85 mph. I haven't gone faster yet.

I cannot comment on the off-road and previous explorer design and comparisons, because I have never had one. I could compare it to a 96 Taurus and a 99 F350 Dually Powerstroke--if one could compare apples to oranges. The ride on the Taurus was a bit better.

Gas mileage is about 15 around town here in the mountains. On the expressway going 75-85, with a 4:10 rear end, V6, AT, towing package, and with quite a bit of luggage etc., the highway mileage is 17 to 17+. I wish it were better, but it isn't.

I have had only one problem: the solution was to reprogram the computer because of shifting "clunks" around 25-27 mph.

I would buy another--unless I win the lottery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back