Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have had 2 issues with my 2020 ST, I now have 2500 miles, 1st it jolted once putting in reverse in the garage, I should have been taken in by now. It has also gotten stuck in 2nd gear a couple times - I have to manually gear up . I will be taking it in next week

I have noticed a jolt a few times and found that if I immediately put it in reverse upon startup (talking within a second), it can jerk.. I wait 2-3 seconds from initial startup now and it is always smooth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you have heard of other leaking issues. If it's just a line, it could be a relatively easy fix. My trans is pretty clunky. I hope the software update pertains to the Limited as well.

I just looked under my ST to see if there was any indication of transmission fluid leakage and yes, I found a drip of red from the case edge and a small wet spot on the floor underneath. I have about 2000 miles and still have to go in for upload of the latest APIM firmware yet. Was anything resolved when you took yours in to Mullinax?

I just looked under my ST to see if there was any indication of transmission fluid leakage and yes, I found a drip of red from the case edge and a small wet spot on the floor underneath. I have about 2000 miles and still have to go in for upload of the latest APIM firmware yet. Was anything resolved when you took yours in to Mullinax?

Hey Tony, mine is still at Mullinax right now. It has been there since last Tuesday. They don't have the cooler in stock, and parts are a bit delayed due to the holidays. Add to that, the coolers are in high demand right now. My loaner is actually leaking a bit too. I feel this is going to be a widespread problem with 2020's as time goes on. He said he would check to see if a software update is available for mine, but did not know if one has been released yet for the Limited.

Mine is still at the dealership. They ordered lines and a cooler but then told me they were on backorder. I agree looks like it is going to be a bigger issue. I see a recall coming.

Hey Tony, mine is still at Mullinax right now. It has been there since last Tuesday. They don't have the cooler in stock, and parts are a bit delayed due to the holidays. Add to that, the coolers are in high demand right now. My loaner is actually leaking a bit too. I feel this is going to be a widespread problem with 2020's as time goes on. He said he would check to see if a software update is available for mine, but did not know if one has been released yet for the Limited.

I just dropped mine off this evening so they can address. Sounds like the leak is a big issue for Ford right now with these vehicles. Hope they can get a replacement part for mine quick. Hope the replacement is a verified no leak version.

I just dropped mine off this evening so they can address. Sounds like the leak is a big issue for Ford right now with these vehicles. Hope they can get a replacement part for mine quick. Hope the replacement is a verified no leak version.

Yeah Steve called me today to say they got a replacement cooler in and mine might be ready tomorrow. They think it might be an updated part, but there are no guarantees I suppose. I get the impression this is going to be an ongoing problem. They might as well order a bunch of these coolers for their parts inventory. I hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Well....I started reading this post from the beginning, it sure took a turn for the worst quickly near the end. I don't like the sound of this one at all.

Well....I started reading this post from the beginning, it sure took a turn for the worst quickly near the end. I don't like the sound of this one at all.

The reason I posted the picture was to make sure others take a look and get it repaired if there are signs of leaking. Before any damage occurs to the transmission. I wouldn't sweat it too much. My dealership has taken good care of me. If it is a problem with the first run of these parts, they will all eventually get repaired under warranty. I got mine back today and I'll keep my eye on it. Hopefully it is not a long term problem.

The reason I posted the picture was to make sure others take a look and get it repaired if there are signs of leaking. Before any damage occurs to the transmission. I wouldn't sweat it too much. My dealership has taken good care of me. If it is a problem with the first run of these parts, they will all eventually get repaired under warranty. I got mine back today and I'll keep my eye on it. Hopefully it is not a long term problem.

Mullinax replace my transmission oil cooler this morning. It seems that access to the parts are now better from Ford and he had one to replace mine this morning. I am still waiting on Ford to figure out how to upload the new APIM version firmware.

Mullinax replace my transmission oil cooler this morning. It seems that access to the parts are now better from Ford and he had one to replace mine this morning. I am still waiting on Ford to figure out how to upload the new APIM version firmware.

Glad they fixed you up quickly. They probably ordered a few coolers for stock when they ordered mine last week. Only thing I am slightly unsure of is the replacement. I took a photo of the old vs new and they appear to have the same part number stamped on the outside. So I'm not convinced I got a new revision cooler (if that even exists). I'll have to keep a close eye on it and hopefully it doesn't leak again.

Picked mine up from the dealership last night. They replaced the cooler and the lines. Had them check but they claim they couldn't find any firmware update for the transmission shifting issue. Drove it home and the truck is shifting no better then before.

I appreciate the photo posted by buzzard302 a few days ago. This prompted me to take a close look at my 2020 Platinum. Fortunately, my transmission cooler isn't leaking -- and everything in the vicinity is bone-dry.

However, this thread indicates that leaking transmission coolers are not uncommon among 2020 Explorers. If transmission fluid has been leaking long enough, it's going to affect the fluid level inside the transmission. And a low fluid level will likely result in unpredictable transmission performance.

For some reason, these new transmissions appear to require a very precise volume of fluid to operate correctly, yet Ford doesn't include a dipstick for owners to check the fluid level.

I appreciate the photo posted by buzzard302 a few days ago. This prompted me to take a close look at my 2020 Platinum. Fortunately, my transmission cooler isn't leaking -- and everything in the vicinity is bone-dry.

However, this thread indicates that leaking transmission coolers are not uncommon among 2020 Explorers. If transmission fluid has been leaking long enough, it's going to affect the fluid level inside the transmission. And a low fluid level will likely result in unpredictable transmission performance.

For some reason, these new transmissions appear to require a very precise volume of fluid to operate correctly, yet Ford doesn't include a dipstick for owners to check the fluid level.

Unless you keep an eye on it or look for leaks, I do not think you would know till it is too late. Once you hit a certain level, you will get a trans failure because there isnt enough pressure to shift. I do not think this would be something where it slowly starts to show signs of there being an issue (shifting wise).

I have a 2020 with the 2.3l ecoboost in it and have noticed some things, don't know if it's normal or not:
1. Down shifts in automatic are a little hards
2. Car is in 8th gear at 40mph
Is this normal? My previous 14 Explorer was naturally aspirated and didn't have a 10speed, so I don't know if this is normal for a turbo or not. My build date was 11/19.
Thanks!

My truck with a 10 speed upshifts pretty quick. I think it is in 8th around 35-40MPH. However when you mash it to the floor it drops to 2nd pretty fast and goes.

Something people can also look out for is my truck is pretty quick to down shift from 10 to 8 when on the highway and hit a slight hill. Almost all the time it has enough power to pull the hill in 10th. On my latest 1200 mile trip I found if I just dropped in manual or set it to snow/wet setting (then it would hold 10th longer before going to 9th instead of 8th) I would pick up a little bit more MPG. Granted I had the cruise set at 80 so it wasn't the greatest anyway haha

I want to know how the hell you all know what gear its in?

I want to know how the hell you all know what gear its in?
I haven't tried it but with this 10 speed you may be able to just count then shifts and/or have someone watch the tach.

Peter

I haven't tried it but with this 10 speed you may be able to just count then shifts and/or have someone watch the tach.

Peter

The factory shifting does not shift 1-10,it skips gears depending on your acceleration rate and speed during that acceleration etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back