Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Now those with whine should complain to your dealership. That is a mechanical issue, and you should make sure that is resolved while under warranty.
Could be a fight getting the dealer to do anything about it. It seems like a design or production issue affecting most all of them. Could be the transfer case. I'm not sure I've driven any 2wd models, but if I do I'll keep a close ear out for any whining noises.
Everyone I have met in person has complained about the 10-speed transmission on the F-series and Mustang. Even the newer model years (2019). Non-gearheads usually comment that the transmission is often jerky or hesitant, and basically has no clue what it wants to do.

I haven't heard as many complaints from the Silverado and Camaro owners who have the same 10-speed, but GM probably has a better tuning setup and maybe tweaked the solenoids.
The 10R80 performs better in the F150, Expedition, and Mustang. F150s and and Expeditions commonly make subtle grinding noises from the transmission area. They occasionally shift poorly but nowhere near the rate of Explorers.
GM's 10L80E variant doesn't seem to have any of the mechanical/tuning issues of the 10R60.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a fight getting the dealer to do anything about it. It seems like a design or production issue affecting most all of them. Could be the transfer case. I'm not sure I've driven any 2wd models, but if I do I'll keep a close ear out for any whining noises.

The 10R80 performs better in the F150, Expedition, and Mustang. F150s and and Expeditions commonly make subtle grinding noises from the transmission area. They occasionally shift poorly but nowhere near the rate of Explorers.
GM's 10L80E variant doesn't seem to have any of the mechanical/tuning issues of the 10R80E.

Like I said, everyone I personally talked to who owns a F150 or Mustang has complained about the 10R80. Even non-gearheads. Like one tuner told me, when his non car enthusiast wife complains about the 10 speed in his F150, something is up.

I have had numerous Expedition rentals (sitting in a 2019 as I type this) and the trans has always been flawless.

So what would be wrong with the 10R60? Just that it is a new design and has to have bugs worked out?

It's my understanding only the Hybrid Explorer/Aviator gets the 10R80 and it's a special version designed for the HEV part of the powertrain.

So what would be wrong with the 10R60? Just that it is a new design and has to have bugs worked out?

It's my understanding only the Hybrid Explorer/Aviator gets the 10R80 and it's a special version designed for the HEV part of the powertrain.

Modern transmissions are really complex. All it takes is one internal component to be slightly out of tolerance and harshness can occur.

Additionally, all transmission shift logic and pressures are controlled electronically via a transmission control module. It takes in depth programming to make it work seamlessly in all scenarios. My guess is that the programming really isn't perfect and results in occasional clunky operation and unpredictable operation.

Or maybe it's a combination of both mechanical and electrical issues together.

Wikipedia tells me that the Explorer, Expedition, F150, Mustang, Ranger, and more are fitted with the 10R80. Could be wrong.

Wikipedia tells me that the Explorer, Expedition, F150, Mustang, Ranger, and more are fitted with the 10R80. Could be wrong.
The Owner's Manual states that the 2.3L and 3.0L GTDI have the 10R60 as does the 3.3 PF/DI. The 3.3L PF/DI HEV has the 10R80 transmission

Peter

The Owner's Manual states that the 2.3L and 3.0L GTDI have the 10R60 as does the 3.3 PF/DI. The 3.3L PF/DI HEV has the 10R80 transmission

Peter
Peter
What does your trans code indicate for your Aviator?

The Manual shows it is a 10R60 Code "T"

Thanks Peter. I looked at the Aviator Hybrid owner manual and it shows the A10R80-MHT as well, so it looks like the gas Explorer/Aviators have the new 10R60, and the hybrid Explorer/Aviators have a new 10R80-MHT specific for hybrids.

Thanks Peter. I looked at the Aviator Hybrid owner manual and it shows the A10R80-MHT as well, so it looks like the gas Explorer/Aviators have the new 10R60, and the hybrid Explorer/Aviators have a new 10R80-MHT specific for hybrids.

Correct, only hybrids get 10r80.

I am having the same issues as the OP. Installed a tune and it still happens from 1st to 2nd...

I"ve had the same 10 speed in my last 3 F150's and I'm very happy with it; can't tell any difference in this one and those

I"ve had the same 10 speed in my last 3 F150's and I'm very happy with it; can't tell any difference in this one and those

Those were 10R80s, the 2020 Explorers are 10R60s except for the hybrid which has a modified 10R80. I hope Ford figures out CD6, because 2022 is when the CD6 Mustang is supposed to come out. I bet they are using Explorer as a test bed for CD6 Mustang.

But I have heard lots of complaints about the F-150 10R80s. It seems to be hit or miss, probably lack of quality control. There's probably a good reason why John Deere, Caterpillar, and JCB use Japanese hydraulic systems in their hydraulic excavators.

update on my experience, I had my ST in for work on the moonroof a few weeks ago, which required the battery to be disconnected, which i believe causes the adaptive shifting to "forget" what it has learned. downshifts from 3 to 2 are still a little bit clunky, but much improved, and the clunkiness i had downshifting from 2 to 1 is completely gone.

on the subject of weird noises from the transmission, i've been paying more attention to them, and it definitely seems like it's oil temperature related: much louder if i stand on the throttle during the first few mins of driving, but once fully warmed up it gets a lot quieter. learning to be patient with it as oil temp takes longer to come up than coolant temp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had a 10R60 take a **** on me today. 2020 Explorer Limited 2.3L 2wd, 10k miles. The floorboard was full of sand, so I'm assuming it had just been on a long trip to the beach. Engine and transmission were fully warmed up when I got into it.
Immediately noticed a delayed/slipping/harsh engagement into Reverse and Drive. Stepped on the gas and heard steady, constant gear whine from the transmission. Put it in Sport Mode and kept stepping on it again and again attempting to make the transmission act up. Experienced very delayed, clumsy, herky-jerky shifts. Within a mile I noticed a trail of smoke behind me. Pulled over and smoke was coming out from under the vehicle. Transmission was leaking its fluid out onto the exhaust.
I suspect a cooler line was the source of the leak. Vehicle is shopped as of now. Dunno if the transmission is toast or will be fine once refilled with fluid.

Back