Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

Who is dissatisfied with the 2020 Ten-Speed Trans

• No problems the transmission works well

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Occasional glitches that I can live with or rarely notice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constant reproducible issues

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Constant intermittent issues that never get dealt with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

1sttimeexplorerowner,

All of the new generation Ford vehicles have Adaptive transmission learning process. How many miles do you have on the ODO? If it is Not clunking and you do Not have enough miles, please wait for it to learn completely and then the smoothness will improve. It keeps learning on your driving habits, conditions etc. Since you do more of highway driving and less of town driving, it probably has Not yet finished the learning process for your city driving conditions. But once you have around 7K or 10K miles and still have the problem, then it might be a problem. I am just saying this because if it were me, I would Not want the dealer tearing up my transmission in a brand new vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary. Again , please forgive me if it sounds like putting down your complaint because that is Not my intention. I just wanted to share my option that it might not have learned your city kind of driving habits/conditions and still trying to adapt.

And if it still does Not satisfy the shifting pattern, you can always have the dealer reset the learning process and it will start learning from scratch.

No worries. This forum has been very helpful so far. I was browsing this forum since i got my XLT back in july, but only registered when i got my first "issue" this past sunday about the brake complaint lol.

I have now 2,020 exactly (lol great 2020, talk about bad luck).

And when i say i do more highway than city, meaning for instance one way to my job is about 9 miles, 8 miles of it is highway, i still need to get out of my town, onto the highway, then off the highway, and get into the town where my job is. Some days i do encounter traffic, especially when i leave the office at 5:30pm. So i do experience my fair share of stop and go and speeds below 40 mph often. I would say it's 80% highway 20% city driving. Sometimes if i'm bored and the XLT is blocking my other cars, i'll just take the XLT for a drive just for fun.

Also from what i read, people said there isn't a learning process to these 10 speeds. They said there is, but that happens in less than 100 miles, not thousands of miles. I assume it's not really promising owning a vehicle where your trans has to learn your driving habits thousands of miles into the ownership. What happens if my battery goes completely dead? Or i change the battery? Would the truck have to learn everything again? If anything it should be as simple and quick as the ECM learning the fuel trims.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This transmission just sucks. One of the worst currently on the new car market IMO. Poor durability and performance across the board in Explorer, Mustang, F150, Expedition. Impressive how its such a dumpster fire in Fords, but perfectly fine in GM vehicles.
If you want to feel a properly tuned 10 speed a/t, test drive a new Silverado, Suburban, Camaro, or Acadia.

No worries. This forum has been very helpful so far. I was browsing this forum since i got my XLT back in july, but only registered when i got my first "issue" this past sunday about the brake complaint lol.

I have now 2,020 exactly (lol great 2020, talk about bad luck).

And when i say i do more highway than city, meaning for instance one way to my job is about 9 miles, 8 miles of it is highway, i still need to get out of my town, onto the highway, then off the highway, and get into the town where my job is. Some days i do encounter traffic, especially when i leave the office at 5:30pm. So i do experience my fair share of stop and go and speeds below 40 mph often. I would say it's 80% highway 20% city driving. Sometimes if i'm bored and the XLT is blocking my other cars, i'll just take the XLT for a drive just for fun.

Also from what i read, people said there isn't a learning process to these 10 speeds. They said there is, but that happens in less than 100 miles, not thousands of miles. I assume it's not really promising owning a vehicle where your trans has to learn your driving habits thousands of miles into the ownership. What happens if my battery goes completely dead? Or i change the battery? Would the truck have to learn everything again? If anything it should be as simple and quick as the ECM learning the fuel trims.

Yeah, it is sad, if you every disconnect your battery, it has to start the learning process all over again.

This transmission just sucks. One of the worst currently on the new car market IMO. Poor durability and performance across the board in Explorer, Mustang, F150, Expedition. Impressive how its such a dumpster fire in Fords, but perfectly fine in GM vehicles.
If you want to feel a properly tuned 10 speed a/t, test drive a new Silverado, Suburban, Camaro, or Acadia.

I test drove the Tahoe with 10 speed, it is butter smooth indeed.

It's funny, I guess some get good ones others get bad ones. I have just over 1000 miles on our 2020 ST. Today as I was getting on the highway I told my wife that this is the best shifting transmission I have ever felt in a stock vehicle. No issues at all, just beautifully timed shifts.

It's sad that they couldn't ensure they all came off the line that way.

It's funny, I guess some get good ones others get bad ones. I have just over 1000 miles on our 2020 ST. Today as I was getting on the highway I told my wife that this is the best shifting transmission I have ever felt in a stock vehicle. No issues at all, just beautifully timed shifts.

From reading this forum, only a couple of people complained about 3.0 Ecoboost shifting. No issues with my ST. Most issues are related to the smaller 4 cylinder engine on the XLT's and other models. 3.0 ecoboost has been a very durable engine. Just my opinion.

From reading this forum, only a couple of people complained about 3.0 Ecoboost shifting. No issues with my ST. Most issues are related to the smaller 4 cylinder engine on the XLT's and other models. 3.0 ecoboost has been a very durable engine. Just my opinion.

I believe there were a couple of ST owners complaining as well. I also watched some youtube videos of magazine editors or car reviewers saying the same thing.

But you're right there are more complaints of the 10 speed in the vehicles with the 2.3.

It might be the stock trans tune.

My friend has a ZL1 with the 10 speed. Stock trans tune. It is amazing.

Mine isn't bad. I don't get clunking or hard lunging. It's just not that smooth.

The ZF 8 speed is the smoothest auto i've experienced.

No problems yet at 10,000km. Butter smooth shifts, both on acceleration and deceleration.
Wonderful car in town and on the highway.
I use the following modes:
Normal for in town and most driving situations,
Eco for highway, and
Towing for...towing a trailer.
The transmission and 2.3L combination seems a great match.
The build date is Feb 2020.

I fully agree with Rick, mine is great. Very smooth shifting up and down.

Peter

I've only driven 1 ST briefly and will agree that powertrain performs much better than the base model.
I know there are many people who are perfectly satisfied with their 10r, but the failure rate is not up to the standard of a modern vehicle IMO. Ford rushed it to market.
The trans has a tendency to become unresponsive, especially while downshifting under load, preventing the throttle from opening until it has thunked into gear. Experienced this in Mustang GT and 2020 Transit as well. It's especially pronounced when there is an internal mechanical problem.

1. Make sure your transmission cooler isn't leaking on your Ford, TSB for it
2. If it is still shifting weird, I recommend getting a tune.
Once my transmission cooler was fixed and refilled to the proper level, the tune I got from SSI has made the transmission shift way better. Plus they have a tune to make all 10 gears available.

I thoroughly checked for leaks when i did my first oil change @ 662 miles. I didn't see the leaks others had an issue with when they first got the EX.

HOWEVER i am starting to get the impression a lot of these explorers are showing up UNDERFILLED.

And a tune will void the warranty so not sure many will take that chance, even if the tune will improve everything.

I thoroughly checked for leaks when i did my first oil change @ 662 miles. I didn't see the leaks others had an issue with when they first got the EX.

HOWEVER i am starting to get the impression a lot of these explorers are showing up UNDERFILLED.

And a tune will void the warranty so not sure many will take that chance, even if the tune will improve everything.
A tune only voids it if they find out. I had a tune on it before the leak, maybe a week before. Discovered the leak, removed the tune, fixed under warranty, re installed tune and have had no problems for 4k miles since then. Ford can find a tune if they really suspect but they usually only dive deep when they start noticing performance parts or extreme wear.

A tune only voids it if they find out. I had a tune on it before the leak, maybe a week before. Discovered the leak, removed the tune, fixed under warranty, re installed tune and have had no problems for 4k miles since then. Ford can find a tune if they really suspect but they usually only dive deep when they start noticing performance parts or extreme wear.

Of course. IF they find out. So you're taking a 50/50 chance. Especially those with ST's that is the performance oriented model.

Most car buyers aren't willing to take that chance. Me included. And i grew up around modified cars. I modified every single car i owned/financed/leased. I was lucky to not have any issues with any of the cars under warranty.

I think a mass produced car like the explorer, all matters should be dealt with ford. I think once you try to do self-diagnosing and start fixing your own issues (which isn't wrong, it means you're proactive), just means there is little ford has to do in terms of fixing a manufacturer defect.

Ford will think, "oh i know the buyer will just tune the trans since it doesn't shift as great. Good for them. But then if there is a problem, we'll just void the warranty".

So it's a win win for them.

Could not agree more. Just garbage. I can’t believe what we paid for this thing and our old 2007 Explorer drove way smoother. The 1-2 shift when the trans is cold is hilarious, it’s like it doesn‘t know what to do. Some times the shift is really delayed like it pauses halfway through the up shift. Other times it‘s just plain rough. Slowing to a stop you can feel it downshift through the gears, especially the shift back to first. I just hate it.

Asked Ford about it when it was in for it’s first oil change. “Oh, it‘s just how these transmissions are. We checked and you have the latest programming...” Whatever...

Luckily it’s my wife’s car and she notices nothing. I will say it is a great highway cruiser, but I’m not a fan of driving it around town. I’m actually hoping the trans fails at some point, maybe a replacement will be better.

Ford can check how many times the vehicle was started and flashing a tune erases that history. If you ever have a major power train issue and they are suspect, they will check it. Take it in with a freshly flashed stock tune and only a few starts stored in the PCM, game over.

Ford can check how many times the vehicle was started and flashing a tune erases that history. If you ever have a major power train issue and they are suspect, they will check it. Take it in with a freshly flashed stock tune and only a few starts stored in the PCM, game over.
Bro, I did that with a transmission leaking that had to get towed in. 17 key cycles, returned it to stock 2hrs before tow truck arrived. No problems with Ford replacing tranny cooler and refilling 6qts. Next.

Yup.

Once a tune is altered, it is permanently stored in the computer forever. Doesn't matter how long you wait until you flashed back to stock, or how many key cycles.

For example if the stock computer code is "0", once you tune it, it turns to "1", and it's recorded FOREVER in the computer. Doesn't matter if you took in your explorer 18 months/13,000 miles later. If they want/care, they'll read the computer and see that "1", then boom, now they're like oh great, gotta talk to the boss about this, this tune was changed sometime.

Could not agree more. Just garbage. I can’t believe what we paid for this thing and our old 2007 Explorer drove way smoother. The 1-2 shift when the trans is cold is hilarious, it’s like it doesn‘t know what to do. Some times the shift is really delayed like it pauses halfway through the up shift. Other times it‘s just plain rough. Slowing to a stop you can feel it downshift through the gears, especially the shift back to first. I just hate it.

Asked Ford about it when it was in for it’s first oil change. “Oh, it‘s just how these transmissions are. We checked and you have the latest programming...” Whatever...

Luckily it’s my wife’s car and she notices nothing. I will say it is a great highway cruiser, but I’m not a fan of driving it around town. I’m actually hoping the trans fails at some point, maybe a replacement will be better.

I know some people have worse experiences than others but i wouldn't really call it garbage. I really think, like someone suggests, it's the tune file for it. Since other manufacturers use this 10 speed in other cars and it's fine.

But the downshift slowing down from 2-1 is very accurate lol. That's why i get the feeling maybe these explorers come underfilled a bit from factory. It has that issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If only there was a way for us to check the transmission fluid level.....

How is it serviced? I am guessing there is a fill plug somewhere and you hook it up to a machine that cycles out the old and injects new fluid until the old is gone?

At least you can drop the pan on this trans unlike the one on our old edge.... Sealed for life for your "convince" 🤣

Back