Why does engine stutter?

Lhlalyam

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport Trac 2002
Hello Everyone,

I've been having problems with my truck for the last year. My truck is a 2002 Ford Explorer Sportrac.

Problem
My truck engine at times stutters when sitting idle and at times has trouble accelerating when on the highway. For the highway, I will press on the gas it will go to about 80kms/hr at most until I push down on the pedal. Then it will go up to 90km or 100km.

Cause of Problem
Last year, I forgot to change my fuel filter. I found this out after travelling during Christmas. At one shop, I was told it was my muffler so I had this changed but that didn't work. I brought it to another shop and was told it was a faulty air sensor by my air filter but that didn't work. Finally another shop found that it was my fuel filter. He said it was plugged solid and fixed it. He mentioned at that time that my fuel pump may go soon and that I should have it looked at. The replacement of my fuel filter really helped bring back most of the power. But not all of the power is back.

Eventually, in the year, my fuel pump started giving out so I had this replaced. But I still don't have all my power back.

I brought it to another shop and the mechanic said it was an exhaust O2 sensor. So I replaced this. It helped for a bit but still isn't fully fixed.

What I Currently Do
When it starts getting sluggish again, I usually changed the fuel filter. I also find that when I change the spark plugs and wires.. that this also helps too.

My Thoughts
It seems to me that the engine is trying to harder to get gas.

Question
Would anyone have an idea what it may be?
If not, would anyone have any tips on how I can figure this one out?

Respects,

Lhlalyam

get an injector cleaner like Lucas dump in the gas, see if it helps might need a professional fuel injector cleaning, maybe something you can do yourself but i do not know how to....

I'll have to do that. I just noticed that I posted in the wrong section. My appologies to the admins for doing this.

Back