• Register Today It's free!

Why doesnt my 4X4 work?

1992exploder

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Ok guys, I have a 92 explorer with 150k miles. When I try to engage 4X4, it makes a light clicking sound, and the light on the 4X4 button lights up SOMETIMES! It only lights up after about 3 failed attempts. Even though that does light up, the 4X4 light on the dash (under the guages) does NOT light up. It never comes on anymore.

I just want to know what is most likely wrong. Do I need a new transfer case motor?

Let me know if I need to post more info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like either the shift motor or the relay. There are transfer case shift motors rebuilt on ebay for $90. Not sure about the relay.

change the bulb on under the gauges that will fix that prob

First, go underneath and pull off the electrical connector on the shift motor. Spray the connector contacts with electrical contact cleaner. That worked for me.
If this doesn't work, search and find the thread on shift motor repair. Most likely the internal switch contacts need to be cleaned. There is a good DIY thread with pictures.

Bob

If you look through the website, there is a 4X4 actuator rebuild guide. Like step by step and picture for picture. But its probably the motor. Or check the relays under the hood.

Back