• Register Today It's free!

Why hello there

BlueOval24

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, My name is Matt. I love Fords, a lot. I found this site when looking for a solution to the popping in steering column when turning. Unfortunately, I have yet to interact with anyone from this site so cannot say whether Ill be sticking around but wanted to say "Hi" anyway.

I come from a ford family (cars dating back to the late 70's) and cannot see myself driving anything else. In fact, I still drive my 98 Mustang 40 miles a day to work and back. Coming from an engineering background, I am a do-it-youself'er, so if there are any car issues, I usually take care of them myself. That being said, there I've added a how-to remove you steering wheel in the General Discussion forum. Hopefully it will be useful to someone, as when researching, I could not find any practical information on the subject. Anyway, glad to be here, hope the stay is long.

Heres a link to my Mustang home page
https://sites.google.com/site/fuel218/home

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt, welcome to the forum. When do you get the popping noise?

Matt, welcome to the forum. When do you get the popping noise?

Hi Mike,

Thanks, look forward to spending a lot of time here.

The popping noise only comes when turning the steering wheel right when going up or down an incline, causing the two wheels to be at different elevations. The noise actually goes away for a considerable amount of time, but only returns after a short road trip (about 300 mi). I've inspected CV axles, outer tie rods, and other components and still think its suspension related. Either way, not worried about it too much as it is rare and doesn't affect driveability.

However, I am currently trying to figure out why my right side steering wheel switch has glitchy controls (left button is "up" command and "ok" button is "down" command, "volume up" and "volume down" are both "volume up" command) and after replacing the switch, it does the same thing. Only info I can find with similar issues is this post from a Focus Forum (Here) If you could point me in the right direction on the site for troubleshooting this, I would be very grateful:thumbsup:

Matt, if you have not already, check the inner tie rod ends, & the upper & lower ball joints for play.

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check those out, again.

Back