Will 5R55E valve body/solenoids replace 4R55E? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 5R55E valve body/solenoids replace 4R55E?

daisyrocky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hi, just spoke to 700tranny in Fla. and tried to order a 4R55E valve body and six solenoids for my 95 Explorer. They said I should put in the 5R55E valve/solenoids because it's updated and that should be the right one instead of the 4R55E VB/solenoids setup. I am ready to place the order but want to hear from you guys first if this is correct and did anyone did this to their Explorer? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no ttranny expert, but the 4r and 5r are very similar.. The only mechanical difference is that the 5r applies the overdrive band for 2nd gear, and all the other gears move up a position.

I'd say it should work. I dont see why it wouldnt..

Thank you sir for the reply. I went ahead and order it.

Not to dig up an old thread but did this work?

The EPC on the 4R55E has a green band filter, and the 5R55E has a red band filter. Both have a different performance curve. The TCC is different as well. The later model solenoids have inductive signature while the old ones don't. There is one hole in the separator plate that is in a different position between the 4R55E & 5R55E. The 4 shift solenoids are the same on both transmissions.

Update weeks/ months ago, I tried the 5R55E did not work at all. I could not even shift past 1st gear. I can hardly go half a mile doing under 10 mph with almost 3000 RPM. This place in Florida shipped me another 5R55E unit within days and it's the same thing and when they finally shipped the right 4R55E it's shifts and runs perfect. I will never put in a 5R55E especially with the red band solenoid. Present day update: truck runs perfect with "frankentransfer case" and fourth transmission tested it with 8 inches of snow couple of days ago and went into deep ditch on purpose near house and came right out with ease. Where I live there is no such thing as snow plow or city maintenance. So you're on your own or pray for the sun to stay out longer to melt the ice fast.:D

Waxhaw North Carolina. Moved here from Flushing NY 18 years ago. Are you near Bay Ridge? Still going back and forth to NYC every month or so.

That's near Prospect Park Zoo. Still bad traffic jam on the Gowanus Expwy? Used to be a radio livery driver and picking up passengers near there in the morning and late afternoon were horrible instead took Flatbush Ave. straight up to the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridges. Will stop by one of these days and at least buy you lunch or dinner. You and others on this website saved me a lots of money on self repairs and mainly gained so much knowledges about these trucks it's priceless.:)

Back