• Register Today It's free!

will an 02 engine fit in an 05

rickho5

Reaction score
City, State
ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 ford Explorer limited
i have a rebuilt out of my old 02 and now have an 05 with a leaking head will the 02 fit ? thanks they are 4.0 i know the 02 has a balance shaft do not know about the 05 i know i will have to use the tb off the 05

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a rebuilt out of my old 02 and now have an 05 with a leaking head will the 02 fit ? thanks they are 4.0 t know the 02 has a balance shaft do not know about the 05
@rickho5
Any engine can be made to fit in any hole, if you have the equipment, knowledge, expertise, and balls to pull it off. However, in your case, since they are the same engine, why would it not fit? I wouldn't think there should be any major obstacles, but WTH do I know?
imp

@rickho5
Any engine can be made to fit in any hole, if you have the equipment, knowledge, expertise, and balls to pull it off. However, in your case, since they are the same engine, why would it not fit? I wouldn't think there should be any major obstacles, but WTH do I know?
imp
i ask this because the alternator did not fit

It should work, but you will likely need to swap over certain parts possibly intake, EFI, valve cover, etc.

Sure it'll fit, but will it work?

05 had Drive by Wire TB, 02 did not. Issues might be present due to differences in the Can Bus operation. The various modules are tied together in a "Networking Module", so any modules used from the 02 vehicle would not be configured for the 05. I had/still have an issuer with the ABS Module not being configured to work properly with my PCM. Added to that little headache now I have only one of the two original keys which started the truck OK before, to start it, the other will not. imp

05 had Drive by Wire TB, 02 did not. Issues might be present due to differences in the Can Bus operation. The various modules are tied together in a "Networking Module", so any modules used from the 02 vehicle would not be configured for the 05. I had/still have an issuer with the ABS Module not being configured to work properly with my PCM. Added to that little headache now I have only one of the two original keys which started the truck OK before, to start it, the other will not. imp
I was planning on just transferring over the throttlebody

Hollander shows the engine blocks for the 6 cylinders are the same but I'm sure all the ancillaries are different. The heads are different too, but I really can't tell you how they are different.

They are interchangeable. Just strip the 02 to a long block and swap all components over from the 05. Every 4.0l SOHC is interchangeable from 97 to 2010 from a mustang, explorer, range rover, sport trac or ranger.

Back