Will Double Din fit in 2003 XLT?? HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will Double Din fit in 2003 XLT?? HELP!

ADonato

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a PYLE 6.5" Double Din Touch Screen Monitor for my car this past weekend that will be delivered tomorrow. I read a few posts and saw that people had them in their car so I assumed they would fit. Now, I am seeing people say they don't fit without trimming and I asked someone at Circuit City today and was told that only Din and a Half fits in my Explorer. Please help! I love this monitor and want to be able to put it in my car but will it fit and what modifications do I need to make to my car to get it to fit and work properly?? THANK YOU for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um, I don't think you're going to have any problems. For anybody else checking this thread correct me if I'm wrong, but we have double DIN decks in all 2nd and 3rd gens as far as I know.

I have a radio on my shelf that is supposedly from a 3rd gen. It's double din. So unless someone lied to me about the radio...it should fit. But you have the car...will it fit?? Take a look and see...or measure and let us know.

Um, I don't think you're going to have any problems. For anybody else checking this thread correct me if I'm wrong, but we have double DIN decks in all 2nd and 3rd gens as far as I know.

I know that 2nd gen are NOT double din, it is more like 1-3/4 din. That is why we have to trim it to get a double din to fit. 3rd gen should be a double din.

Are you talking about trimming like we have to on a 2nd gen? We trim...what...an eighth of an inch or something like that to the dash bezel.

2nd, 3rd and 4th gen's hu are the same size, I have a 2006-2007 HU in my 2002, and the HU I took out of the 2002 fits in my 97....

I have an 03 xlt, best buy website says a double din wont fit.....crutfield.com says it will. Im going with yes. Plus I seen a guy's xlt on cardomain that had a pionerr double den in his 03

I have an 03 xlt, best buy website says a double din wont fit.....crutfield.com says it will. Im going with yes. Plus I seen a guy's xlt on cardomain that had a pionerr double den in his 03

it will fit fine. just buy the double din kit. and for the record, bet buy's online fit guide sucks. nothing fits into anything on there

here is a pic of my double din alpine iva-w205 in my 2004 eddie bauer. double din fits with no trimming.

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 12,377

Just wanted to add to this...

I ordered a Kenwood DPX503 DD head unit and afterwards got this email from Crutchfield saying that it wouldn't work, even though their fit guide says it will. From what I've read I don't think it will be an issue except for the sub pop that he mentioned.

Here's a copy of the email...

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your e-mail, and for shopping the Crutchfield web site.

Regarding your question about the factory subwoofer in your 2005 Ford Explorer, the custom wiring harness we offer retains the factory amplifier when installing an aftermarket stereo. However, the factory stereo only sends 5V to the factory sub amp's turn-on lead. When an aftermarket stereo is installed, there may be a turn on/off pop from the subwoofer. To avoid this, a 12V to 5V regulator can be installed on the remote lead (Radio Shack part is 276-1770).

In answer to your question about installing the Kenwood DPX503 receiver into your Explorer, this double DIN receiver will not fit due to the opening in your vehicle. The dash opening does not match the necessary space needed for the receiver. Also, mounting a double DIN receiver requires the use of factory brackets that are often included in many Japanese vehicles. They provide support for the radio, and your vehicle does not have these brackets. I wish I had better news there.

The good news is that with the purchase of a smaller DIN-style receiver, we provide an installation kit to cover any gaps left over and stabilize the new receiver. You'll find receiver fit information with our Crutchfield Car Selector. Just point your browser to:

http://www.crutchfield.com/whatfits

Once you've entered your vehicle information, the car speaker and receiver selections will automatically be filtered to show only those items that fit your car's dash or particular speaker location. You can use product category links to find the items you're looking for. Using the Crutchfield Car Selector for your order also ensures that you will get the installation accessories you are entitled to, so you can start enjoying your new gear sooner.

For those and additional details, don't forget to click on the "Crutchfield Hands-on Research", "Features", and "Photos and Video" tabs below the product picture. You can also find the accessories that you will need to get this system up and running by clicking on the "Accessories" tab on the individual product pages.

I hope this information helps. When you're ready to make your purchase, you can do so from our web site. Please enter my name, Lyle, as your Advisor as you fill out our Complete Online Order Form. If you prefer, you can also call me, toll free, at the phone number below.

Thanks again for your e-mail. Please let me know whenever you need anything else.

Lyle
Advisor
advisors@crutchfield.com
http://www.crutchfield.com
1-888-474-7138

No trimming on my Pioneer P4000DVD... used factory radio bracket (had to add two holes to match holes on the side of the radio)

No biggie

3132301_13_full.jpg

pffft. for the sub turn on pop, i've always used a 4.7kohm resistor in line on the amp turn on and haven't had any problems

alwalker84 the trim piece for your screen, did that come with the screen or did u buy that somewhere? i got the same screen from ebay as a demo and it didnt come with a trim piece. trying to figure out where to get one.

alwalker84 the trim piece for your screen, did that come with the screen or did u buy that somewhere? i got the same screen from ebay as a demo and it didnt come with a trim piece. trying to figure out where to get one.

It bought mine new/factory refurb. It came with the trim piece.

Honestly its nothing more than a very thin plastic square piece. You would be just as well making one out of thin wood or metal and painting it black.

It kind of just hangs on the top rim of the radio, so it dosent bolt, snap, or stick on in any way. (which I thought was wierd).

I just bought a 2005 Adrenalin and was wondering if the double din would fit. I have the Pioneer 6 disc changer style in the truck right now. It has an 8 inch sub "I think 8 inch" under the back driver side seat and a big amp in the storage panel behind the seat. The system sounds great but I want my nav and dvd back that I had in my old car. I'm looking at the kenwoods as I already have the nav unit for them.

Thanks for all the great replies!!!! Yes I'm being sarcastic....the Avic 900bt fits without having to trim anything. :D

The 1st gens dash kits need like a half inch trimmed off for a single din lmao, all other gens have the dual din.

Back