• Register Today It's free!

Winch mount/Radiator support?

fsumotorhead

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
Well after wheeling a few times with the reciever multi-mount winch, i have discovered that it hits just about everything on the trail. Though it does work well, it gets annoying hiting on everything.

So after a little cutting and grinding to the "jeep" mount that came with the winch, i have got it to bolt up between the frame and receiver.

Question comes when fitting the winch, it won't fit unless i remove the part of the core support in the picks (it's red). Is there any major reasoni shouldn't cut this? It doesn't seem to support anything.

I think i can modify the bumper to fit again,

JeepBlessing009.jpg

HPIM0682.jpg

HPIM0683.jpg

HPIM0684.jpg

HPIM0685.jpg

HPIM0686.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i wouldnt see why you couldnt cut on it, if you need i would reinforce it with some steal up and over you winch when you get it where you like it. by the way i like that set up you have when i get some time i would like to make a hidden winch mount like yours so all you see is the fair leads

lift it

I've got the same truck except it's got a 4" lift, still digs in the odd time, thinking of welding another reciever sleeve on top of the existing sleeve.

I think i'm going to put a body lift on it now. I hadn't planned on it before, but it will save me from hacking up the rad support and the bumper to fit the winch.

Then i should be able to run my 33s i have sitting in the shed to gain some more ground clearance.

If i could afford one of the suspension lift kits out there, i would already have it, but $2000 is definatly not in my budget for this truck.

I think i'm going to put a body lift on it now. I hadn't planned on it before, but it will save me from hacking up the rad support and the bumper to fit the winch.

Then i should be able to run my 33s i have sitting in the shed to gain some more ground clearance.

If i could afford one of the suspension lift kits out there, i would already have it, but $2000 is definatly not in my budget for this truck.

except you still need to drop the radiator down so it still sits center with the engine fan.

UNLESS you have electric fans, in which case, there will be no cooling issues.

Back