window problem when it's cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

window problem when it's cold

G

gensic11

i noticed that even when it's sort of warm out my window takes an unusually long time to go down the first 6 inches or so and then after that it shoots down like its not a problem.... and when i want it to go back up it never has a problem, it goes all the way back up easily. now when its real cold out, it literally will stop sometimes within the first 6 inches.. it takes forever to go down and sometimes it just wont go down at all.. but it seems as if it will go back up without a problem for the most part.. sometimes it takes a few clicks when it's down all the way to get it to move again (in the cold).. anyway i really dont think its a lack of power, since it goes up fine generally 100%.. its just on the way down it sticks real bad and i was wondering if that thread with the people who replaced those plastic lookin things with the ball bearings fixed the problem of it not going down smoothly.... or do i have a different problem? - i have a 1997 XLT and it only happens with the drivers/passenger front windows, not the rear.. they're both fine

any info would help thanks a lot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've noticed it too on my 96 - i'm a smoker and ALways have the at least the drivers window(s) down - it shoots right up. I remember reading on here about the window regulator being the problem. A few times it seemed to overheat the motor to the point that it didn't go up right away (of course it was raining at the time). I haven't taken the initiative to look into it further, but i'm sure when it's finally stops working i will!

While the window is down, spray some wd-40 or other lube in the sides of the door where the window goes (where the felt material is). It smells bad but it helps a lot.

IS that your "palm on window" advice talking? ;)

I've thought about that but keeping the windows clean would be a b!tch.

silicone can be used instead of wd40 with very little mess - but likely your long term problem though is worn regulator bushings and/or a weakened motor.

Back